none
Drag & Drop Image from App to Document/Sheet works only when App is running from Visual Studio (F5)/localhost RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed insert image app for Office. When I run the app from Visual Studio (F5), it allows drag & drop image from the app to the document/sheet and works fine as shown in the picture below

but when I publish the App Web Project to Azure/IIS and App Manifest to SharePoint App Catelog and Add the App to Office Excel/Word/Power Point, it doesn't allow drag & drop of image. I have also tried to add App Web Project Url and App Catelog Url to Trusted Zone/Intranet Zone in Internet Explorer, but doesn't help.

My question is why drag & drop only works when App is running from Visual Studio i.e. localhost?

Regards.

Aftab Ahmad

Monday, December 28, 2015 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Aftab Ahmad,

Did you the user account have the administrator permission? As far as I test, if I start the Excel progress in not build-in account(Administrator) , the Excel progress start without with administrator event the account has administrator privilege.

Please to run the Excel one time with a full administrator access token

1. Locate the program icon or a shortcut in Windows Explorer.

• 2. Right-click the program icon or shortcut, and then click Run as administrator.

• 3. When the UAC message is displayed, do one of the following:

• If you are logged on as a standard user, or if UAC is configured to always require credentials, enter the appropriate administrative credentials, and then click OK.

• If you are logged on as an administrator and UAC is not configured to always require credentials, click Yes to start the application.

You can get more detail about it from link below:
      How do I run an application once with a full administrator access token?

Regards &Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Aftab Ahmad- Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:50 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Finally if I run Excel as administrator, then I am able to drag & drop images from the App. Thank you for help :)

But why does it need to start Excel as administrator for simple Image Insert/drag drop?

Regards.

Aftab Ahmad

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Aftab Ahmad,

As far as I know, the drag and drop images from web page into Excel application start support from Excel 2016. Please ensure that users is using the latest version for Excel if you want to support this feature.

Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstood.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:06 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Thank you for your answer.

I am actually using Excel 2016 as you can see the first screenshot in my first post. So the question is still same "Drag & Drop is only working in Office 2016 when I run the App from Visual Studio and it does not work if I add the App from SharePoint Catelog".

Regards.

Aftab Ahmad 

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Hi Aftab Ahmad,

Thanks for the detail information for this issue. I suggest that you visit the web page that manifest located in web browser directly and then try to see whether it could drag and drop the image into the documents.

In addition, could drag and drop the images from apps for Store? For example, I can drag and drop the images from Wiki app like figure below:

Regards & Fei

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:45 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Thank you again for your quick response :)

I cannot drag & drop images from the Wikipedia App from App Store like you can but I am able to drag & drop images from Internet Explorer/Edge. As you can see in the picture below that I cannot drag the image from the App but I have dragged image from Edge. Is there any setting, I have to change in my Excel/Word 2016 because if you can drag image from the App then I should also be able to do this.

Regards.

Aftab Ahmad

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:43 AM
  • We are doing the research about your problem. There might be some delay about the response. Appreciate your patience.
    Friday, January 1, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi Aftab,

>>I cannot drag & drop images from the Wikipedia App from App Store like you can but I am able to drag & drop images from Internet Explorer/Edge.<<

Since you were able to drag the images from Internet Explorer/Edge, I suggest that  you try to reproduce this issue using the same website in the Office add-in. We can modify the manifest of the Office add-in to point to the web address we want to test.

If this issue could be reproduced, it seem that this issue is relative to the Excel application. Please try to update or repair the Excel to see whether the issue was fixed.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

Monday, January 4, 2016 5:18 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Thank you for your answer. I have tried with the link http://blogs.technet.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-88-76/60002.web-apps.png and drag & drop is working from the Internet Explorer but not from the app. See below

I am using latest updated 64 bit version of Office. I hope not this is problem. I am totally blank now how to fix it :(

Regards.

Aftab Ahmad

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:19 PM
  • Hi Aftab Ahmad,

As far as I research, I found there is an option in Internet Explorer which may affect the drag behavior. You can check the option from Internet Options-> Security-> Internet-> Custom level-> Miscellaneous-> Drag and drop or copy and paste files is enabled.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

Friday, January 8, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Hi Fei,

No, unfortunately. It has not helped. It was already enabled in all zones.

Regards.

Aftab Ahmad

Monday, January 11, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Did the apps for Office using IE or Edge progress to load the page?

• Edited by BruseBoBo Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:09 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Hi Aftab Ahmad,

Did you the user account have the administrator permission? As far as I test, if I start the Excel progress in not build-in account(Administrator) , the Excel progress start without with administrator event the account has administrator privilege.

Please to run the Excel one time with a full administrator access token

1. Locate the program icon or a shortcut in Windows Explorer.

• 2. Right-click the program icon or shortcut, and then click Run as administrator.

• 3. When the UAC message is displayed, do one of the following:

• If you are logged on as a standard user, or if UAC is configured to always require credentials, enter the appropriate administrative credentials, and then click OK.

• If you are logged on as an administrator and UAC is not configured to always require credentials, click Yes to start the application.

You can get more detail about it from link below:
      How do I run an application once with a full administrator access token?

Regards &Fei

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:50 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Finally if I run Excel as administrator, then I am able to drag & drop images from the App. Thank you for help :)

But why does it need to start Excel as administrator for simple Image Insert/drag drop?

Regards.

Aftab Ahmad

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Hi Aftab Ahmad,

Based on my understanding, to enable the dragging images in IE, we need to start the IE with administrator privilege. Start the Excel application with administrator would grant the IE process which started by Excel getting the administrator privilege by default.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

Thursday, January 14, 2016 2:19 AM