What does markets selection mean? RRS feed

• Question

• I am sorry for this embarrassing rudimentary question.  I thought I understood it, but  have just realized that my understanding is probably way off.
    I thought an app can be seen only by the users of the selected markets. To test this, I selected the following markets for an app: Australia, Canada, Hong Kong SAR, United Kingdom.  To my surprise, I, who reside in the US, can see the app.  I have tried this on different computers, and all of them are the same – the app is right there.
    BTW, I did look at the MSDN document about “Choosing your markets”.  Unfortunately, it is not specific regarding how an app is presented in selected and unselected markets.
    Could anyone shed some light on this?  What does markets selection mean exactly?

Hong

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Hong,

If your computer region is set to one of your app's available markets, then you should see it in the Windows Store. For instance, if your app is only available in the selected market of Russia, then users in the US would not be able to view the app listing on the Windows Store.

Thanks for the post!

-Jonathan

Windows Store Developer Support

Office Store Developer Support

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:54 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

My computer is set to US which is not one of the selected markets: Australia, Canada, Hong Kong SAR, United Kingdom.  Per your response, I am not supposed to be able to see the app?  Is my understanding of your response correct?  That is my original understanding of markets selection.

Hong

Friday, March 7, 2014 3:08 AM
  • Hi Hong,

Yes that is correct. Only users in the regions of the selected markets should be able to view the app. If your experience is different, you can submit a support request to have a support agent look into this further.

-Jonathan

Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the confirmation.  I will submit a ticket and report back here once the issue is addressed.

Another strange thing is that I see the app on my computer, and the only option is "Buy" without indicating a price.  The app is free. 

Hong

Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Hi Hong,

I understand you were able to reach a resolution to this issue by editing the default language for your app. Thanks again for the post!

-Jonathan

Friday, April 11, 2014 2:04 AM