none
Windows Media Player 11 for Server 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows Server 2008 x64 edition as a Workstation OS and would like to install Windows Media Player 11. The OS installation media doesn't seem to include media player even though I believe Windows Server 2003 did.

When I selected to download it from the Windows Media Player website it suggested the version for XP 64-bit. Would this be the correct version?

Thanks,

Doug

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Actually, I've just found it by looking around the OS. You need to install the "Desktop Experiance" which installed the Windows Media Player and several other Vista features, no aero glass experiance however ... maybe Microsoft can enable that in "SP2" Wink

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:54 PM
  • Aero glass experience is available. After you install the desktop services, run services.msc. Then enable the Themes service and start it. You will then see the aero as an option in personalization

-Lalit

Monday, February 25, 2008 11:10 PM
  • I am using 2008 std x64 also. Windows media player is there, but appears media sharing is not enabled in this version which is a little disapointing.

Does anyone know how to enable this ????

Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:13 AM
  • Hi,

This forum is dedicated to Windows Server 2008 application compatibility and certification related issues.

You may like to try the following steps:

1. Go to Start , All Programs and then Windows Media Player.
    2. Click on the Library tab, then select Media Sharing from the menu.
    3. Check the “Share my media” button and then press OK. (This might take a few seconds to complete as it modifies firewall settings.)

Hope the above helps.

Thanks

Saswati
    Monday, March 31, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  

I have enabled WMP11 in server 2008 x64 but when I go and right click on library, to enable Media Sharing, its not there, the media sharing option just isn't there.
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 8:58 AM
  •  

Hi,

Please note, this forum is for application compatibility and certification related questions on Windows Server 2008.

You may like to take a look at the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/windowsvista/troubleshooting.aspx

Also you may like to post your queries to http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=570&SiteID=17

Thanks

Saswati

Thursday, April 3, 2008 8:03 PM
  • I too can confirm that my Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x86 version also lacks the ability to share media under Windows Media Player 11.  The button from the options menu, on the Library TAB, right next to the text that says Share my media with other computers and devices on my network.   Button Text: Configure Sharing...  is GRAYED OUT.  The necessary components, including wmpnetwk.exe is missing, along with the registry entries.  The frustrating part of this, I've spent several hours now, searching the MS KBs for this information and NOWHERE can I locate ANY info on WMP11 for Server 2008.  Sure, there are hundreds of Vista References, but nothing to acknowledge Server 2008 has another wonderfully crippled Media Player---  Just like MS has crippled Server 2003, by not allowing WMP11 there either.

What gives with this?  I thought there was hope in the Quality Windows Audio Video Experience feature for Server 2008, but alas, another one of those 'mystery' services that the MS KB won't divulge information about.

Is this all an effort to protect XBOX 360 sales?

Yes, this is a MAJOR compatibility issue.  The largest networking movement for media sharing, adopted by countless organizations is DLNA services.  And I find it amazing that as powerful and capable Windows Servers are, that MS WON'T support DLNA.  Even in the super bloated Windows Media Services....

BTW,  It's completely hackable though, robbing from Vista Ultimate, you can place the WMP11 and it's components onto Server 2008 and do what MS has intentionally tried to prevent.  WMPLOC.DLL is identical, and it doesn't take much registry editing to get it to work.  I wonder if you can just rip it right out of the Vista install cabs...

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Hay Doug,

I came across similar problem?

Any luck?

Do you have updates on this?

Chahul

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Hi fokes,

I have enabled feature called Desktop Experience and it worked for me through service manager.It in tern then enabled windows media player.

Chahul

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Yes, getting Windows Media Player to run is accomplished by installing the Desktop Experience Feature.  However, there still lacks a major component within Media Player 11 for Windows Server 2008---the MEDIA SHARING component....

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:18 PM
  •  

BobAZ -

I'm VERY interested in figuring out how you did this...but alas, I'm a noob with Server 2008.  I've got plenty of experience with Server 2003 but the Vista core makes me scared. HA!

If you've got the time, I'd love to hear more....

thanks!

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:44 AM
  • Does any one know the steps to take to hack together WM11 to allow sharing on server 2008?  Would be nice to know what reg setting to change or add/delete.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:55 AM
  • Hi BobAZ,

tried it myself to move media player from Vista Ultimate to Server 2008. Not very successful up to now.
    Do you have some hints, how to do it?

thx,

Saturday, July 12, 2008 10:55 PM
  •  

Just so you guys know, this is easily done by installing Windows Media Services 2008 on your Server 2008 box.

The free downloads to enable this role in server manager are found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ccf6312-723b-4577-be58-7caab2e1c5b7&displaylang=en

Enjoy!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Hi!

That is for versions of Windows Server 2008 (standard, enterprise, datacenter and web), but for Windows Server 2008 HPC?

Thanks!
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot see how adding Windows Media Services for the 2008 server would replace the functionality that Media sharing in Windows Media Player 11 has?

Meaning, i have added the Media Services as a role on the Win 2008 server - but how can i access the media on the server from f.ex a PS3 or another client accessing the media services? (meaning, DLNA support)

I should be able to just add some folders with media, and they should automatically be visible on any device connected in the house.

(I recently reinstalled my Windows Home server to Win 2008, and hoping i would be able to access the media in the same way as before)
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

I cannot see how adding Windows Media Services for the 2008 server would replace the functionality that Media sharing in Windows Media Player 11 has?

Meaning, i have added the Media Services as a role on the Win 2008 server - but how can i access the media on the server from f.ex a PS3 or another client accessing the media services? (meaning, DLNA support)

I should be able to just add some folders with media, and they should automatically be visible on any device connected in the house.

(I recently reinstalled my Windows Home server to Win 2008, and hoping i would be able to access the media in the same way as before)
    Hi,

Although I currently have no idea how to enable the sharing button in WMP in Server 2008, I have figured out that you can install Windows Media Connect on server 2008.  Media Connect was the predecessor to the Media Sharing in WMP and has been somewhat revived in Windows Home Server to serve up media.  The beauty of it is that it does not depend on WMP at all so there's no need to install the bloated Desktop Experience feature and can be configured to run all the time.  This provides a very clean simple alternative to the 3rd party DLNA media sharing apps out there.

Here's how you do it:

1) Find a copy of Windows Media Connect 2.0, this is no longer provided my MS but can still be found around the web.  Another place you could potentially find it is in the file umupnp.exe on the Windows Home Server installation media. 
    2) Now out of the box this won't install on Server 2008, so don't bother trying, you need to extract the files from the archive.  I used Winrar, other archiving tools will do it too.
    3) Create a folder, for example C:\Program Files\Media Connect (I'll assume you used this folder for future examples)
    4) Copy the following 3 files which were extracted from the archive mentioned in the last step into your new folder:  wmccds.exe, wmccfg.exe, wmcsci.dll
    5) Run regsvr32 "C:\ProgramFiles%\Media Connect\wmcsci.dll"
    6) Run "C:\ProgramFiles%\Media Connect\wmccds.exe" -installwithfiles  (This is an undocumented feature of Media Connect which installs the service without paying attention to pesky details like OS version).
    7) Run sc config "WMConnectCDS" depend= none
    8) Run sc config "WMConnectCDS" depend= upnphost/HTTP (These 2 commands are essentially an easy way to remove the HTTPFilter service dependency which does not exist on Server 2008.  It's functionality now resides in HTTP, I could of done this from the registry as well but in my experience that requires a reboot)
    9) Enable the SSDP Discovery Service by setting it to manual startup from the GUI or using sc config "SSDPSRV" start= demand
    10) Enable the UPNP Host Device Service by setting it to manual startup from the GUI or using sc config "upnphost" start= demand
    11) Run wmccfg.exe and do the initial setup.

From this point you've got media sharing running that is basically the same as the WMP sharing feature (maybe even a bit more appropriate for a Server environment), and it can be reconfigured using wmccfg as needed.

As a side note this works for both x86 and x64 versions (including Server 2008 R2).  It also works in Vista and Windows 7 as well for anyone who wants to avoid Media Player on their desktop and still use Media Connect sharing.

Enjoy.

• Proposed as answer by Gohtar Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:41 PM
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:53 AM
  • I performed these steps but i cannot configure it because it is grayed out.  Any more advice!!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Sassmouth.... u da man!
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Consider it a seperate component. It's not within WMP11. Very straightforward, it sees the device (a 360 in my case), you allow it, pick the folders you want to share, done.... works perfect!! Manage it using "wmccfg.exe".... It actually sees the local machine as a remote device as well, doesn't cause any problems/conflicts, just proves it's completely independent of WMP11... Running this on a x64 2008STD Machine...
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:35 AM
  • I found the Windows Media Connect 2.0 install, but once I unzipped everything, the filenames are not the same, and there aren't all the files you said (there's a wmccfg.dll instead of .exe, and there's no wmcsci.dll) Where can I find umupnp.exe, without needing to have a Windows Home Server install ?
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:05 PM
  • This works perfectly! Thank you!  I am running it on our Server 2008 x64 Enterprise
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:42 PM
  • I have done this on a trial install (so far) of Server 2008R2, but I have no HTTP service?
    So WMC can not start as the dependencies are wrong.
    I tried installing IIS, but the HTTP service isn't there either.
    "Error 1075: The dependecy service does not exist or has been marked for deletion"
    What gives?

Otherwise it's just the sollution I have been looking for. Very similar to "light DLNA" for Linux systems
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Doh I found the error, I used a WHS R2 image, obviously the files are not the same, perhaps with hardcoded dependencies or something. It was the httpfilter service I lacked, not the http service itself (luckily) I googled windows media connect 2 and chanced using the download... and voila :) Me happy :)
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Wow, thank-you so much Captain Sassmouth! Your solution worked perfectly!
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:03 AM
  • Worked perfectly. :)

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Hi,

Although I currently have no idea how to enable the sharing button in WMP in Server 2008, I have figured out that you can install Windows Media Connect on server 2008.  Media Connect was the predecessor to the Media Sharing in WMP and has been somewhat revived in Windows Home Server to serve up media.  The beauty of it is that it does not depend on WMP at all so there's no need to install the bloated Desktop Experience feature and can be configured to run all the time.  This provides a very clean simple alternative to the 3rd party DLNA media sharing apps out there.

Here's how you do it:

1) Find a copy of Windows Media Connect 2.0, this is no longer provided my MS but can still be found around the web.  Another place you could potentially find it is in the file umupnp.exe on the Windows Home Server installation media. 
    2) Now out of the box this won't install on Server 2008, so don't bother trying, you need to extract the files from the archive.  I used Winrar, other archiving tools will do it too.
    3) Create a folder, for example C:\Program Files\Media Connect (I'll assume you used this folder for future examples)
    4) Copy the following 3 files which were extracted from the archive mentioned in the last step into your new folder:  wmccds.exe, wmccfg.exe, wmcsci.dll
    5) Run regsvr32 "C:\ProgramFiles%\Media Connect\wmcsci.dll"
    6) Run "C:\ProgramFiles%\Media Connect\wmccds.exe" -installwithfiles  (This is an undocumented feature of Media Connect which installs the service without paying attention to pesky details like OS version).
    7) Run sc config "WMConnectCDS" depend= none
    8) Run sc config "WMConnectCDS" depend= upnphost/HTTP (These 2 commands are essentially an easy way to remove the HTTPFilter service dependency which does not exist on Server 2008.  It's functionality now resides in HTTP, I could of done this from the registry as well but in my experience that requires a reboot)
    9) Enable the SSDP Discovery Service by setting it to manual startup from the GUI or using sc config "SSDPSRV" start= demand
    10) Enable the UPNP Host Device Service by setting it to manual startup from the GUI or using sc config "upnphost" start= demand
    11) Run wmccfg.exe and do the initial setup.

From this point you've got media sharing running that is basically the same as the WMP sharing feature (maybe even a bit more appropriate for a Server environment), and it can be reconfigured using wmccfg as needed.

As a side note this works for both x86 and x64 versions (including Server 2008 R2).  It also works in Vista and Windows 7 as well for anyone who wants to avoid Media Player on their desktop and still use Media Connect sharing.

Enjoy.

Read what the instructions say but dont forget the address of your folder as had a couple of problems but figured it out in the end example being in the run command (  regsvr32 "C:\ProgramFiles%\Media Connect\wmcsci.dll" ) where the percentage mark is took that out and added space in between program and files  so then it looks like this ( regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Media Connect\wmcsci.dll" )   Lol did what it said on the tin YOU R THE MAN!!!!!!!!!! hope this helps others.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:59 PM
  • That doesn't work in Server 2008.   I tried looking for a registry setting, but came up empty. 
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Sassmouth cheers for this info, I have a query,

have you come across a situation where the service starts and works etc, detects the clients and the clients see the server but the client reports "No files have been found on this remote library" even though files are present and available on the server.

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Thanks Sassmouth for the great workaround. I installed the Media Connect software, but it does not detect my PS3 in the list of devices. I see the server on my PS3, but when I try and access it, I get a DLNA protocol error (501). Anyone know how I can get Media Connect to detect my PS3 or if there is anything else to help fix this problem?
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Hi Vetauciont - Yes I got the same thing too, it takes a couple of tried before Media Connect can see the PS3. Just go into the Setting and tell it to allow all new devices. It should see your device after this, you might also want to add an exception in the firewall for both inbound and outbound for this program. And a BIG thanks to Sassmouth as well, however I do have one question. 

I have enabled the Files and can see the Media Server on the PS3 but it does not show any of the files, do I need some Codec or something like that to enable the media server to show the files?

Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:05 AM
  •  

Just so you guys know, this is easily done by installing Windows Media Services 2008 on your Server 2008 box.

The free downloads to enable this role in server manager are found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ccf6312-723b-4577-be58-7caab2e1c5b7&displaylang=en

Enjoy!

Some of us guys have Win 2008 Small Business Server
    Michael Summers
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:42 AM
  • Dear,

Are you OK with your problem?  http://biwoxingfu.blog.mk/

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Thanks. This worked great!
    Monday, November 8, 2010 2:46 AM
  • You are the shiz sassmouth!
    BeNJaMiN M KeNNiNGToN
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Thanks Captain! Works like a charm.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:41 PM
  • 2011 and this still helping people! This was one hell of a hack. Worked like a charm. I can only think if you "originally" found this out or whoever did must have developed this software, how else would you have known to add the dll to the registry or to get the rest working. Im in awe... Thanks tho
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:17 AM
  • Hi Sassmouth,

I am new to the concept of Windows Media Services, my requirement is i need to live video my Server Room via Media Services,

How do i configure it, what are System Requirements.

Plz guide me as i said i am layman on windows Media Service...

Note : Using Microsoft guide, i installed Media Encoder 4 in my Vista Client(which has Camera), Windows 2008 Enterprise Edition  & installed Windows Media Service 2008

What is my next stage & how to configure

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Sathish

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Step by Step Instructions in English (For us non Geeks).
    After being pointed all over the place, I finally got enough legitimate pieces
    to figure the rest out. For those of you who like clear concise step by step 
    instructions that you don't need an 8 year degree from MIT to understand, these 
    instructions are for you!
    How to activate Windows Media Player in Server 2008 R2
    Go to server Manager (Icon next to the right side of the start button)
    Left side of screen find "Features" and click on it. 
    Right Side of screen click on "Add Features"
    Find Desktop Experience and check the box. 
    Click Next
    This will take a while to install, have patience......
    When it's finished click on the option that asks you if you want to restart now. Say yes.
    Let it configure updates, shut down and restart itself. 
    Log on to the server ctrl alt delete, enter password.
    Let it finish installing the desktop Experience as it restarts all services.
    Once it says installation succeeded you may close the window.
    Click start button, All Programs, and select Windows Media player from the available programs. 
    Enjoy!
    • Proposed as answer by wjarrett Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:21 AM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Thanks Captain Sassmouth!  It worked perfectly!
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:47 PM
  • You just need to enable Desktop experience under Add Features under Features under Server Manager. You should do as follows:

1) Start Server Manager

2) Select Features

3) Now click on Add Features

4) Select Desktop Experience and click Next and Then Install

5) Restart your machine after seeing successfully installed message.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:24 AM
  • 2013 and still helping people! I just used the fix on a 2008R2 used as a home media server. Worked like a charm. Lucky I had my old WHS install disk to get the umupnp.exe file, the Media Connect 2.0 files I found online did not have the requried files. I also have a WHS 2011 disk, but I did not check there to see if it had the required files. I will investigate later. Thanks to the Captain, he is the best.
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:14 AM