Overdue Tasks sent, but document, task, and library deleted months ago RRS feed

• Question

• The user in some testing many months ago setup a review task on a document library.  Did some testing, and then deleted the doc library.  This task still sends a weekly email at 1:40+/- on Fridays that its overdue and please review.  Clicking on the link to the doc gives you a 404 error, clicking on the 'edit task' gives you a frozen outlook and a restart. 

I've read through the forum, I've tracked this down a number of holes, with no luck what so ever.  I cannot be the only person to have a ghost for a overdue task.

Its not a dev, or test environment.  The email is generated from our #1 Web Front End server.  I can see this in the headers of the email.  The end user has been disconnected from all SharePoint lists, libraries, feeds, alerts, during this time she was given a new machine completely rebuilt without userstate migration.  So, absolutly new outlook profile.

Ideas?  I'll go into the db to delete something... :)

@Elwha101
    Friday, April 1, 2011 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try to clear the config cache followed this knowledge base article, restart the SharePoint Timer and wait for the effect.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939308

You can also run the following query against the Web Application content database to determine if there is an orphaned item in the table.
    Select * from SecheduledWorkItems where ID=’GUID’

If the item and associated workflow tasks are removed while the workflow is still running, it will leave out the related records in ScheduledWorkItems table which timer services checks regularly hence sending out the overdue notification emails at the time. It is because the workflows associated with the document were not yet completed at the time and they need to monitor the status of those tasks.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Lily Wu || Microsoft Online Community Support Engineer || SharePoint
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, April 15, 2011 6:24 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:51 AM

All replies

• I'm also experiencing this with several out of the box approval workflows, they keep sending overdue emails to involved approvers, even though they have already approved or the workflow has been approved or even Cancelled the emails still arrive.

The Due Date was never changed.

Some approvals are very old, and the approval workflow has been sending Overdue emails for a long time now.

Field "Assigned to:" is set to "No" in the "Allow multiple selections" setting

Friday, April 1, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to clear the config cache followed this knowledge base article, restart the SharePoint Timer and wait for the effect.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939308

You can also run the following query against the Web Application content database to determine if there is an orphaned item in the table.
    Select * from SecheduledWorkItems where ID=’GUID’

If the item and associated workflow tasks are removed while the workflow is still running, it will leave out the related records in ScheduledWorkItems table which timer services checks regularly hence sending out the overdue notification emails at the time. It is because the workflows associated with the document were not yet completed at the time and they need to monitor the status of those tasks.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Lily Wu || Microsoft Online Community Support Engineer || SharePoint
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, April 15, 2011 6:24 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:51 AM
  • hi, 

Having the same issue, and so followed the kb article 939308. But the task emails are still sending out.

Any other suggestion I can try?

Thanks,

Jun

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Take a look at other environments you may have, they may still be sending alerts with the URL of the production site.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Thanks for the advise.

Checked, but there is no parallel environment.

Still looking for solution. Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:33 AM
  • After apply the steps in kb article 939308, execute 'Select * from ScheduledWorkItems' from content db, the same  records as before. 

How to verify the orphaned items have been removed?

Thanks,

Jun

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:20 AM
  • Hello Mr. Elwha,

I've got the exact same problem with a sharepoint and it's also going on for months now.

Have u found a definite solution for the problem yet?

Monday, December 19, 2011 9:36 AM
  • DaZill,

I would try the info in the proposed solution to this question.  Then I would start a new question.  I've moved away from the situation where this issue was happening. 

@Elwha101
    Monday, December 19, 2011 2:30 PM
  • That was my issue. I confirmed this by looking at the email headers and finding where the reminder email originated from. It appears as though the out of the box workflows do not us the URL of the workflow item at runtime but rather caches it somewhere. This will be an issue for us as we'd like to copy PROD to TEST on a scheduled basis but we won’t be able to do this if users start getting a bunch of emails for items they’ve already completed.  Not sure how to solve this.

Regards,
    Eric Halsey

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:33 PM
  • I had the same issue after upgrade from 2007 to 2010.

Some itens continue to sending email after the task was completed.

3weeks  trying to solve this but unssucessfully.

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:31 PM