none
BizTalk 2010 Connectivity with SAP using Classic RFC Library RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently having BizTalk 2010 connection to SAP using WCF-Custom(Sap Binding) adapter.

This communication is based on downloading the required dlls i.e., RFCSDK at SAP software download center (http://service.sap.com/swdc) . So this is Classic RFC Library communication.

We are still planning to use BizTalk 2010 till atleast end of 2016 year without upgrade.

But I see in below link there will no longer be support for RFC Library and it ends on March 2016.  

http://scn.sap.com/community/icc/blog/2012/08/15/support-for-classic-rfc-library-ends-march-2016

Does our above BizTalk 2010 connection to SAP(using Classifc RFC Library) will work after March 2016 as well? or Will it stop working connecting to SAP?. Kindly please clarify.

Monday, February 1, 2016 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The SAP RFC Class Library will continue to work. The only thing that will happen after March 31 is that is no longer supported. In the link you gave it states:

"SAP no longer supports the classic RFC SDK or the classic RFC library after the maintenance end of SAP Release 7.10 (March 31, 2016).  This end of maintenance also applies to SAP Releases 7.11 and 7.20."

In my opinion or view it means you can still use it but if an issue occurs than you are on your own. However, if your solution works currently than it will not suddenly stop unless you make changes to your SAP that could affect the library. I have work in projects before with out of support components and didn't have any issue and in the end like your case the migration took place.

Kind Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers (Microsoft Azure MVP)

BizTalk

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:23 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 10:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Vinod,

Thank you for posting on MSDN forum.

I am sure this information can be confirm by your SAP Integration Consultant only or you can directly contact to mentioned email-id on your referenced link BUT, for BizTalk 2010 related query I want to remind you, Mainstream Lifecycle of BizTalk 2010 has been already expired on 1/12/2016 and only extended support is available till 1/12/2021 which you need to purchase Extended Support within 90 days of mainstream support end (which can be missed easily).

Refer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?p1=15637

Thanks,

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, February 1, 2016 7:33 PM
  • HI Vinod ,

I not that much sure but have you tried SAP Connector for Microsoft .NET from https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/public/connectors .

It will work with 2013 and 2013 r2 and it should work with .Net framework 4.0 on which BizTalk 2010 is build .

So its better to make a try here and let me know if you face any issue

Thanks

Abhishek

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Hi Abhishek,

As per our plan, It will take another 6-8 months to upgrade to BizTalk 2013. Once we upgrade to BizTalk 2013, we will take your points into consideration.

But will the current SAP RFC Class Library continue to work even after March 31,2016 with BizTalk 2010?. Any idea on this?

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

The SAP RFC Class Library will continue to work. The only thing that will happen after March 31 is that is no longer supported. In the link you gave it states:

"SAP no longer supports the classic RFC SDK or the classic RFC library after the maintenance end of SAP Release 7.10 (March 31, 2016).  This end of maintenance also applies to SAP Releases 7.11 and 7.20."

In my opinion or view it means you can still use it but if an issue occurs than you are on your own. However, if your solution works currently than it will not suddenly stop unless you make changes to your SAP that could affect the library. I have work in projects before with out of support components and didn't have any issue and in the end like your case the migration took place.

Kind Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers (Microsoft Azure MVP)

BizTalk

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:23 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 10:16 AM