Does Annual Fee Include Windows Phone Marketplace? RRS feed

• Question

• Does the annual fee for the Windows Store also cover Windows Phone 7.5/8 -- or -- do developers have to pay twice and subscribe to both marketplaces (I sure hope not!)? Or... will Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 combine stores into a single storefront (displaying only applications that apply to the device in use)?
    --- Thanks, Jeff (http://devmatter.blogspot.com/)
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hey Jeff,

Currently, the annual registration fee for a Windows Store developer account allows access to the Windows Store only. 

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

Bobby 

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hey Jeff,

Currently, the annual registration fee for a Windows Store developer account allows access to the Windows Store only. 

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

Bobby 

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Well my feedback is this.  :-)  The XNA/XBOX AppHub and the Windows Phone 7 AppHub are conjoined now.  Windows 8 development should also use this same app hub *and* require just one annual fee no matter which device developers want to target.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:29 PM
  • I agree completely.  Do not charge me twice to publish multiple apps to a Microsoft storefront.  Odds are that as I develop a new Windows Phone app, I am going to consider also developing it to be compatible with Windows 8 (if it makes sense) and vice-versa.  Why should I have to pay twice to publish what is essentially the same application to two different Microsoft storefronts?

I'm really hoping this is a temporary issue in that Microsoft is not ready to announce their full plans for their Store/Marketplace yet.  Hopefully more details will be made available as we get past the Windows 8 Beta release and we start hearing more about Windows Phone 8 ("Apollo") - e.g. will it be based on the Windows 8 kernel (or "WinMin").

Time will tell but I really hope Microsoft does the right thing here.

--- Thanks, Jeff (http://devmatter.blogspot.com/)
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:42 PM
  • I would like to second this request. This would be a discouragement for devs planning to release the same apps on the phone and mobile platforms. Also, most indie devs would discount possibilities of building apps that integrate WP7 features with Win8 if it means paying double the amount.
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:49 AM
  • I agree, it would be wrong to have to pay twice for WP7 and Win 8 store and to login into 2 separated backends. Please merge these things into one consistent experience, charge only once and please make it a lot more stable and bug free than the WP App Hub, which is a mess since the beginning. Kill the App Hub and merge WP over to the Windows 8 Store.
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I agree, it would be wrong to have to pay twice for WP7 and Win 8 store and to login into 2 separated backends. Please merge these things into one consistent experience, charge only once and please make it a lot more stable and bug free than the WP App Hub, which is a mess since the beginning. Kill the App Hub and merge WP over to the Windows 8 Store.

+1
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:57 AM
  • +1 on this request.

It would be ridiculous to have the Windows 8+ developer account separate from the WinPhone+Xbox developer accounts. It's already enough of a chunk of change for one-man shops.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:32 PM
  • I also agree, one subscription should cover both the WP&.5/W8 marketplace. If tghe WP8 device runs Windows 8, as stated by Microsoft, then most apps will be developed (if it makes sense) to run on ALL w8 devices... desktops, tablets, phones and paying two or perhaps three times (would there also be a separate tablet marketplace?) makes no sense and serves to discourage developers.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I definately agree with others. It is not only because of the two seperate fees but also reduces the administrational effort for me. I would only need to maintain one account. I am also ok with tiered accounts:

- only one device (xbox, phone or win8)

- two devices (xbox+phone, xbox+win8, phone+win8)

- all " 3 screens" :)

Thanks.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:00 PM
  • PLEASE use the WP7 & XBox App Hub so we do not have yet another login and site to manage just for Windows 8!   The seperate fee is less of a concern than adding more scattered interfaces and web sites.

Also, it would be _GREAT_ if pubCenter's advertising interfaces were also linked into the single App Hub dashboard for one-stop revenue checking!

Kevin

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Agreed on all counts, merge the sites and merge the accounts.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Wow, that is ridiculous!!!! Considering I have spent $90 for the windows phone development center and it has many issues. Now Microsoft wants to charge me for this? Apple is looking very good!
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:17 AM
  • I'm in total agreement with everyone else, that the Windows Phone/Windows 8 accounts should be consolidated into one account, and there shouldn't be an additional fee to develop/publish on Windows 8 if you're already a registered Windows Phone developer. But just to elaborate on that point, as it relates to my situation...

I'm currently developing an application for Android (phone and tablet), iOS (iPhone and iPad), Windows Phone and maybe Windows 8 (it's most useful on tablets). Developer fees for this application on the various platforms are as follows:

• -Android: One time payment of $20
    • -iOS: $100/year
    • -Windows Phone 7/8 + Windows 8: $100+$100=$200/year

My application is most relevant to mobile users, so discounting the fact that there will be lots of desktop and laptop Windows 8 users (since they won't be interested in my app), it means that developing for Microsoft's mobile platforms is the most expensive option, even though they have the least market share.

In the grand scheme of things $200 isn't much money but logically this makes no sense. These fees, at a minimum, should be no higher than what the competition is charging, though considering Microsoft's current position in the mobile market I'd say that the fees should be even lower, if not completely eliminated. After all, Microsoft is still getting paid: they're charging the same 30% of app sales that Apple and Google charge. And those companies seem to be doing just fine with lower developer fees.

I only mention all of this because I'm a big Windows Phone fan (I've been using the HD7 since day one), but I've never met anyone who owned a Windows Phone, and among my developer friends none of them are planning (or even want) to do anything with Windows mobile platforms. They actually think I'm wasting my time by targeting Windows Phone. So there's a lot of resistance to Windows on mobile devices, and at least on the developer side the excessive fees aren't going to help.

Finally, on the off chance a decision maker at Microsoft happens to read this message, I'd like to leave you with an important reminder from Steve Ballmer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:36 AM
  • I am in the same situation.  I invested two years into Windows Phone 7, paid my subscription for two years and submitted 6 XNA based games, with decent dowload, but lackluster Ad revenues from Micorsoft PubCentre.

I was quite interested in a common and cohesive Windows Phone8/ Windows 8 ecosystem and development environment. But it appears that Microsot don't see it that way, and are no longer interested in us Indie Developers.  Apps Hub has been pretty weak as it is, but having a seperate account/ payment for Windows 8 is really taking the P*ss.  

With a weak Windows 8 Marketplace for Indie Development, it looks as though I will not now be renewing my Apps Hub subscription at the end of the month. I will now concentrate on iOS and Android, with the MonoGme port of XNA to those Platforms. Apple and Google appear to be treating their Developer base better.   

Good Luck building up that Windows 8 Marketplace Microsoft !    

Silverlight an XNA Fan

Friday, November 2, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Yeah,

I have been thinking about iOS dev for while 

It all comes down to this invest in a Mac Mini or a Windows RT tablet

These mini punishments don't really help the cause!

Friday, December 28, 2012 1:39 PM
  • As others, i'm adding my "+1". I have been developing for Windows Phone for a little while with great pleasure and bought a Surface RT so naturally was very excited to start developing apps for my new great toy. But ONLY after I downloaded all the tools (which seem completely redundant with the WP ones by the way), then created my first "hello world" kind of app and running it on my tablet, then went to try to reserve my app name and went through filling all the details to link to my WP dev account, was I surprised with a "Price: 49 USD" screen. NOWHERE in my research this had come up. That's the MS experience.

Now, google "Apple developer program". You end up on a very clear web page with 2 big buttons: "IOS developer account" and "Mac developer". It's crystal clear from the start that you have one account for developing on iPad + iPhone, and one for developing for computers. It makes MS and its products look bad. Which is a shame because I find Windows Phone and Windows 8 / RT *much* superior to iOS, and it's precisely a problem of image that is slowing down adoption. It's sad to see to see that the above question is date 2011 wile we're now in 2013 and the situation did not evolve a bit.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:13 AM
  • Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:51 AM
  • It would be nice for MSFT to tell us what to do when we have an expired Store account and an active Phone account. I let my Store account expire back in September because I never released an app. I have an active Phone account since I actually released a WP8 app. My Store account still shows as expired. Should I ignore that account and only work with my active Phone account from now on?
    • Edited by henador Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:11 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:09 AM