none
Run as Administrator Service not installed error RRS feed

• Question

• When using the Administrator account for the Auto-Login (I've found in the documentation this is the only way to enable the Admin account?) I'm able to run, eq. cmd.exe, as Administrator (choosing "Run as Administrator").

When using the same configuration in ICE, changing the Autologon user from "Administrator" to my local user I get the following error when choosing "Run as Administrator": "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

In an other set-up, using an standard template (Thin Client I think) I remember to be able to use "Run as Administrator" while using an autologon with my own user, so if I remember this correctly this should be possible.

Is this possible? Should I install certain packages to make this work?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:49 PM

Answers

• Found it... To simple to be true, so it only cost me like a week to find it: The user should be member of the Administrators group.

I think the Application Security package has to be installed also, I'm not sure though.

Thanks for the help

Sander
    • Marked as answer by SanderB1234 Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:10 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:09 AM

All replies

• Are you sure that cmd.exe is in your image?
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Yes I am. I can also start it as the current user (by dubbel clicking instead of "Run as Administrator")

However, this isn't only with cmd, it's with all program's I try to start as Admin (At least the ones I've tried).

Sander
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Could you take a look at your event log? Maybe there is something in there explaining what exactly is failing when you try to use Run as.

My best guess is that it is UAC-related. Do you have the Application Security package installed?

Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Finally got the chance to test. I myself was also thinking in this direction, but didn't know in what package to find UAC.

I didn't had Application Security installed, adding it wasn't the solution. After putting the "EnableLUA" property to true I got a question for the administrator password ("To continue, type an administrator password and then click Yes"). There is no textbox to fill in the password so I just typed it. The system didn't accept my password thus not enabling the "Yes" button.

Sander
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 10:13 AM
  • Just so you know, you can set EnableLUA to false. You'll get a validation error, but it will still work properly. You won't get UAC pop-ups, but the application security backend will be in place.

I don't think that will fix your problem, since the missing password field means it doesn't have something it needs. The only reason you can run as administrator as administrator is probably because it is smart enough to realize that you are already authenticated.

I looked at the docs for Application Security - try adding Credentials and Certificate Management. It is also under Security and listed as an optional dependency of app security with the explanation "Authenticate credentials when a UAC prompt requires logging in to another account."

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Started all over again today. Everything was working untill I added autologon... Then I got the same "Service not running" error. Adding the Application Security package got me stuck in the password question again :(

Sander
    • Marked as answer by SanderB1234 Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SanderB1234 Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:10 AM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Found it... To simple to be true, so it only cost me like a week to find it: The user should be member of the Administrators group.

I think the Application Security package has to be installed also, I'm not sure though.

Thanks for the help

Sander
    • Marked as answer by SanderB1234 Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:10 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:09 AM