none
Sharepoint Designer 2013 - External content Types - Cannot connect to the SQL server database defined in data source connection Test.

Question

• I am using Sharepoint designer 2013. I try to connect to database from "External content Types" link. I have created "New external content type" and then clicked on "Add Connection" button. I have chose the "Data source type" as "SQL server". It will open the "SQL Server Connection" window and I have entered Database Server, Database Name and tick the Connect with User's Identity.
    When I click on Ok button then I am getting below error.

"Cannot connect to the SQL server database defined in data source connection Test."

"Cannot connect to the LobSystem(External System). Reason:'Login failed'. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication."

Can any one help me to resolve this issue.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 11:04 AM

All replies

• Mahesh,

Will get this error if the device running SharePoint Designer is not logged in to the same domain as the SharePoint instance containing the SharePoint server.

Also, your don't mention the Secure Store Application ID.  You can not store the SQL Server credentials in SharePoint Designer.  Instead, the credentials are stored in SharePoint by the SharePoint admin. (See the article on "How to create a Secure Store Application" https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-create-secure-store-target-application-in-sharepoint-online/ )

The name assigned to the Target Application is the ID that goes in the "Secure Store Application ID".

If the External Data Source is working correctly, the credentials in the "Target Application" will be inserted into the connection string at runtime.  

Good Luck.  I can't make this work either.  I don't think the External Data Source SQL Connector in SharePoint Designer 2013 assembles the connection string correctly for Azure SQL Server.  I have wasted a ton on time on this and am giving up.  So much for the new Forms in SharePoint 2016.  BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

If your database is not on Azure, you may have better success.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:11 PM