the requested operation requires evaluation when using HTA on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using wscript.shell to run/exec an exe from an HTA application.  Works fine on Windows XP, but Windows 7 and Vista get the error "the requested operation requires evaluation".  I don't mind UAC, but it does not surface and ask for permission.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:33 AM

All replies

• (This is an attempt to elicit clarification of the problem you have, in the hope that others can answer it.)

By HTA, I assume you mean an HTML Application.

Since you mention UAC, I'm guessing that you mean 'The requested operation requires elevation.'

On those assumptions, it seems you have an HTA which is 'trusted' to access the machine trying to run some other executable via Windows Script Host on Windows 7 and Vista.

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that this is one of those areas which Vista tightened up on, so that the executable no longer has the same privileges as the HTA which runs it.

I would recommend you have a look at Security and Windows Script Host and see whether any of the measures described there help.

Answering policy: see profile.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:41 AM
  • What's the exe you are trying to launch do?  It may be a case of mistaken identify on Windows's part, thinking it is a setup or something.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:58 PM