Can't fake metro library

Question

• I'm trying to unit test with Fakesframework for metro app class library (let's say ClassLibrary.dll). However I can never get ClassLibrary.Fakes.dll generated. I did same thing for Desktop app version of the library and unit test project, I have no problem with generating the fake dlls and instantiate the stabs. So my operation should be alright.

Does Fakesframework support Metro style app ?

Is there any other framework instead ?
    (I tried NUnit and found out it's still not wokring enough)

• Edited by hamling-ling Monday, March 19, 2012 1:07 PM found grammar mistake again
    Monday, March 19, 2012 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

the product group says that this is a goal to support Metro apps in the future but unfortunately VS 11 Beta doesn't support it right now.

thanks!

mike

• Marked as answer by hamling-ling Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Unfortunately Fakes does not work right now with Metro-style managed apps. It is something we're interested in for the future, but it is not available right now.

--
    Peter Provost
    Visual Studio Ultimate

-- Peter Provost Sr. Program Manager Visual Studio ALM Microsoft Corporation

• Marked as answer by hamling-ling Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

the product group says that this is a goal to support Metro apps in the future but unfortunately VS 11 Beta doesn't support it right now.

thanks!

mike

• Marked as answer by hamling-ling Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Unfortunately Fakes does not work right now with Metro-style managed apps. It is something we're interested in for the future, but it is not available right now.

--
    Peter Provost
    Visual Studio Ultimate

• Marked as answer by hamling-ling Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Peter and Mike

Thank you for your answer.

I understand that VS 11 beta FakesFramework doesn't support metro style app for now.

Do you know when it will be available ? I want to know that because I have to choose unit test framework very soon.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:25 AM
  • Peter and Mike

Thank you for your answer.

I understand that VS 11 beta FakesFramework doesn't support metro style app for now.

Do you know when it will be available ? I want to know that because I have to choose unit test framework very soon.

Thanks.

The fakes framework for classic apps is neutral to testing framework, so you should still be able to make that choice. We cannot currently make any statements regardng when or if Fakes will be available for Metro-style apps. As Mike said, it is something we are very interested in doing.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Peter
    Thank your for additional answer.

Yes, I agree. I think it's powerfull tool so I should use it when it's available.

OK, I decided to use MS Unit Test and handmade stab untill 
    fakes or other framework will be available. Meanwhile we keep
    whatching those information.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Peter
    Thank your for additional answer.

Yes, I agree. I think it's powerfull tool so I should use it when it's available.

OK, I decided to use MS Unit Test and handmade stab untill 
    fakes or other framework will be available. Meanwhile we keep
    whatching those information.

FYI, a bunch of other frameworks are already available. You can see the list I've been keeping here:  http://aka.ms/msdn-vs11-unit-test-plugins

Thanks!

Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Hey Peter,

Does Microsoft Fakes currently support Windows Store apps? I want to upgrade to Visual Studio Premium but I need to be sure that I will be able to use Microsoft Fakes with my unit tests for Windows Store apps.

Friday, April 12, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Hi Stanley,

Currently Microsoft Fakes is not supported for Windows Store apps. We still feel that enabling Fakes for Windows Store apps is important. Unfortunately, I can't provide a time frame for adding in this support. We are balancing this work against all the other improvements we can do for Visual Studio. Your feedback is very valuable and we take this into consideration when prioritizing work. If you feel really strongly I would suggest that you also propose this as an idea to the visualstudio.uservoice.com website.

Thanks for your feedback,

Joshua Weber

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:48 PM