none
Virtualization Pricing trends RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Folks, I was wondering, in terms of pricing of various virtualization offering, have you seen any visible trends. I guess pricing may be coming down from every vendor including VMWare - any thoughts - Thanks for helping us
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• my personal impression is that the prices are dropping..   I think MS is putting a fair bit of pressure on things by offering a lot of their virtualization platforms basically for free.

Hyper-V is included 'free' with Server 2008, and now they've announced a free stripped down version (you can find it referenced on various hyper-v blogs)  that is JUST for a system that will run Hyper-v.  it doesn't included any licenses for host OS's (which are included with some versions of 2008 such as enterprize and datacenter)  and there are limitations as to max ram and cpu's  but for a lot of more entry level setups it will work just fine.

You are likely to get more response to this over in the official Hyper-v forum in the technet forums.

As of 8/22/2008 this forum is de-comissioned, and there's pretty much nobody minding this particular MSDN forum..  all the virtualization support is over in the technet form

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

(note the pinned message at the top of the forum that they are de-commissioning these on the 22nd  )

Further discussion of this issue should be moved to the technet virtulization forum.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:00 PM