none
Small Basic Discussion RRS feed

• General discussion

• Let's discuss the Small Basic programming language and the Small Basic Library. Anybody can contribute and all replies are welcome. I am doing some research on programming and I would appreciate it if people would contribute and let me know what they think of Small Basic as a language.

Answers can be about Small Basic syntax, its concepts, the Small Basic Library, the compiler, Small Basic semantics, etc.

Try to answer one or more of the following questions in your response:

• Why do you use Small Basic?
    • What do you wish was better with the Small Basic Library?
    • Who do you think Small Basic is for?
    • What do you like about Small Basic?
    • What don't you like about Small Basic?
    • What do you think could/should be added to it to make it better? What are your suggestions?
    • What are the pros and cons of Small Basic in your perspective?
    • What do you want in later releases of Small Basic?
    • What do you wish was better with Small Basic?
    • What needs improvement in Small Basic syntax?
    • Should others use it?
    • What is your favorite feature of Small Basic?

Those who wish to participate have a chance to aid in the development of the next generation of programming languages. Also, good answers will be up-voted. Don't miss out!!

Thank you very much for your future contributions and people who are willing to take time and let me know what they think are greatly appreciated and will get up-voted.

Remember to have fun and thanks again!!

Nevin Janzen  -  If this post answers your question, please click Propose As Answer. If this post is helpful, please click Vote As Helpful. Thanks!

• Edited by Nevin Janzen Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:56 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hello Nevin
    I´m repeting this post, asking for help.
    I made an exercise that write and retrieve data, from Small Basic, with a Word file and an Excel file.
    The results were similar. You can write and retrieve data with: .txt, .xls and .doc files
    Now transcribe you the same exercise using an Access database file: sample.msdb.
    Both using the extension such as .exe (application)or .msdb, results are the same.
    The program is running correctly (write and recovery) but when I go to open the database previously created, does not allow me due to format issues.
    But I have no doubt that Small Basic can access all these type of files.
    A good language must let me access any file to read, write and up date data. Don´t you think so ?
    Many, many thanks for your comments,
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    TextWindow.Title = "write in Access sample.msdb file. Type= .exe"
    ' defines the path to the file
    pathfile = "C:\Users\carlos\Documents\sample.exe"
    ' writes in the first row of the file
    TextWindow.WriteLine(" Write: " + File.WriteLine(pathfile, 1, " First line"))
    ' writes in the second row of the file
    TextWindow.WriteLine(" Write 2: " + File.WriteLine(pathfile, 2, " Customer Name: "))
    ' Appends content to the end of the file
    TextWindow.WriteLine(" Add contents: " + File.AppendContents(pathfile, "Access let you store and recovery data "))
    ' skip a line in the window
    TextWindow.WriteLine(" ")
    ' read the entire contents of the file and displays it in the window
    TextWindow.WriteLine(" Read contents: " + File.ReadContents(pathfile))

carlosfmur - Buenos Aires
    Friday, January 13, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Thank you very much for your response and feedback, carlosfmur!! Your support is greatly appreciated and you are very valued!!

Thanks again!!

Nevin Janzen  -  If this post answers your question, please click Propose As Answer. If this post is helpful, please click Vote As Helpful. Thanks!
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:58 PM