SoundEffectInstance.Volume does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I play a sound file with a SoundEffectInstance. I try to fade-in the sound by setting the volume, but it does not work. When the volume is 0, I cannot hear something, if it is greater than 0 the sound is playing with the maximum volume. What is the problem?

Thank you
    wima
    Friday, November 5, 2010 9:37 PM

Answers

• I just checked our internal issues database.  This was a known issue and has been forwarded to HTC.  It will be up to HTC with respect to when they release an updated firmware image that corrects the problem.

FYI, here is another thread addressing the same subject:
    http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/64737.aspx 

- Mark
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:58 PM

All replies

• It's a tiny decimal value. Zero = no sound while one = maximum volume. If you set volume to 0.5f you should get the sound effect at 50% volume.
    Friday, November 5, 2010 10:07 PM
  • but it does not work. zero = no sound, all other values are maximum volume. Is there a bug in the xna framework?
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 6:28 AM
  • but it does not work. zero = no sound, all other values are maximum volume. Is there a bug in the xna framework?

I can confirm this is the case for me in XNA 4 on the phone - and I'm using exactly the same code that I used for XBox development in XNA 3.1. As far as I know, nothing has changed regarding setting sound effect volumes (although I could be wrong). The syntax is definitely identical.
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Make sure you're not using an integer or feeding it an integer. It wants a decimal number. You try putting a decimal like .5 in an int and it'll just be 1.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Make sure you're not using an integer or feeding it an integer. It wants a decimal number. You try putting a decimal like .5 in an int and it'll just be 1.

I'm definitely putting a float in - and the same code works perfectly in XNA 3.1 for the XBox. Anything greater than 0 gets treated as 1.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:28 AM
  • I've created a Connect issue. I'm sure they're aware of it, but please vote anyway:

Friday, January 7, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Same issue here.  I hope they fix this problem soon, because my app is waiting for it to be fixed.
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 6:45 PM
  • This is a bug an HTC phones, what I know of and it's probably driver problem.
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Are there any workarounds or do I have to wait for them to fix this?
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:25 PM
  • We're getting exactly the same problem with all our HTC devices, passing a float of 0.x does nothing, 0 turns sound off and anything else is max. Unfortunately we don't own anything other than HTC devices at the moment!!! :s

Sunday, January 9, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Is this a hardware problem or a software problem?  Can this be fixed with a simple update?
    Monday, January 10, 2011 3:52 AM
  • Is this a hardware problem or a software problem?  Can this be fixed with a simple update?

I think there is no answer to this yet, but hopefully it's only software problem...
    Monday, January 10, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Any results, I'm waiting on this to be solved for my app to be released.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 4:00 PM
  • I just checked our internal issues database.  This was a known issue and has been forwarded to HTC.  It will be up to HTC with respect to when they release an updated firmware image that corrects the problem.

FYI, here is another thread addressing the same subject:
    http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/64737.aspx 

- Mark
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Thanks for letting us know that the manufacturer is aware of the issue. Let's hope they view it with the appropriate priority.
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:19 AM
  • I have a HTC Mozart. Just updated NoDo (7390). But the issue is still there. Could Microsoft do something to fix this issue soon ? For me, it's very annoyed.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 4:56 PM
  • HTC Trophy running mango, issue is still there.. Is there anyone from MS that can kick this back over to HTC again? and maybe light a fire somewhere.. I don't want to release an app with a notice stating that due to a bug, HTC devices will not be able to adjust the volume levels... I contacted HTC and of course they will escalate it, but i doubt it will get to the proper people.. we shall see..

Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Yes, it's rather annoying that HTC hasn't fixed this yet. I've just submitted a help ticket here: http://www.htc.com/help, with the phone's serial number. Perhaps if we all do it at the same time, and stress that this bug is making them look bad, they might actually think about fixing it. What I'm worried about is that it could be some sort of actual hardware problem.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:45 AM
  • I have noticed the same thing with the HTC Trophy.  I can control the Music (Mediaplayer) volume, but the SoundEffect (both global and instance) is either off or full on.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:48 AM