none
setting source for an image box RRS feed

• Question

• I have a window with an image boxes  named image1 through image5 in it.

I have a directory containing 52 images of playing cards.

The name of the directory is "Playing Cards".

The file names in the directory are xx-resize,png. The -resize was added to the file names when I did a batch resize in my image editing software.

I have built an array of 52 card names such as c2 for the deuce of clubs named CardDeck.

I have another array called hands where I store five selected cards for four hands,

The code to fill the CardDeck array and populate the hands array work as they should.

I want to be able to a build a file name so I can set the Source property of the image box to the name of the file containing

the the card image.

I try to do  filename = "c:/Playing Cards/" + hands[0,3] + "-resize.png";

or "c:\ etc.

In either case I get errors saying "newline in constant" , "resize does not exist in this context".

What is the proper code to build the filename or must I include the entire file name in the cardDeck array

" + hands[0,4]" +

John Scholl

Monday, March 12, 2018 10:01 PM

Answers

• Try one of these.

filename = "c:\\Playing Cards\\" + hands[0,3] + "-resize.png";

...or...

filename = @"c:\Playing Cards\" + hands[0,3] + "-resize.png";

Backslash characters ('\') are used to place escape sequences into strings. If you want an actual backslash, you either double it or precede the string with an at character ('@').

• Marked as answer by johnscholl Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:26 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2018 10:34 PM

All replies

• Try one of these.

filename = "c:\\Playing Cards\\" + hands[0,3] + "-resize.png";

...or...

filename = @"c:\Playing Cards\" + hands[0,3] + "-resize.png";

Backslash characters ('\') are used to place escape sequences into strings. If you want an actual backslash, you either double it or precede the string with an at character ('@').

• Marked as answer by johnscholl Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:26 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2018 10:34 PM
  • Thanks again Ante. My card games is coming along. Almost to the most complex part - determining

which of 4 hands is the winner.

John Scholl

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:29 AM