Frustrated user by installation of silverlight RRS feed

• Question

• I am a web designer and i use for designing silverlight. It is a super technologie, but...

At thist time - i think - more as 60% from the windows user doesn't have installed silverlight (for example wondows 7 ultimate doesn't support Silverlight). By the first call from html with silverlight object, the user get the information about the "install the Silverlight".

And this is a problem.

A very large user group refuse to install this plugin. (Willies from virus. etc.). When i ofer for my clients the solution with silverlight, and i descrieb the adventages vs flash, i get the answer: OK, but the flashplayer is not necessary to install.

What is the solution?

if exists a solution that by the first call the silverlight automatically will be installed in background, without user ministration?

Thanks and regards

IA Transoft

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

I gues Microsoft is fustrated from law remember the preinstalled IE dicussion. What I know the only way to install SL withaut user interaction could mady by an  network administrator http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/8/d/78da8ec9-8801-42e5-89e5-3809386f1316/silverlight%20deployment%20guide.doc

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:53 PM
  • last time I checked you need to install flash/flash plugin/flash player...

windows 7 ultimate doesn't support silverlight? really? smells funny

install silverlight without user consent?  hmm..  not so much

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:55 PM
  •  Yes, as has been stated before, having dealt with this issue myself, Silverlight requires elevated privileges to install which either the user has to explicitly give (Windows 7 has no problem running Silverlight btw) or it needs to be installed by Administrators. I no network guy, but I'm pretty sure the install can be pushed out remotely but I may be wrong.

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:22 PM
  • for 3 days ago i made a new windows 7 ultimate installation (no repare or update). After installation the Adobe flash 10 has automatically running but Silverlight no!!.

The usualy windows user want, that the required web request will run prompt. The user is no system administrator.The user (any, not all) refuse to make extra installation. This i my and Microsoft problem, not a user problem. I think, Microsoft should be solve this problem.

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:45 PM