none
SQL Express and VB 2008 - Need Help Connecting RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm very new in the VB and SQL Express world but I need some help.  I am trying to develop an application which several users can use at once that will pull data from a database stored on a remote server.  The problem I keep running into is trying to connect to this remote server from within Visual Studio.  The "add new connection" wizard isn't very helpful because I cannot change the data source from ".\SQLEXPRESS" which is essentially telling it to look in the local machine for SQL Express (where SQLExpress isn't).  It also doesn't really seem to let you connect to a remote database as it is always asking for a specific file name as opposed to a server instance (so I could connect using a access database with \\Server\Share\FileName.mdb, but I don't want to use MS Access). 

I have read numerous posts on configuring SQL Express to allow remote connections, enabling the browser server, etc, etc.  That is all configured properly.  I can connect to the server using the Management studio on my workstation.

So basically, I have these questions:

Is this a limitation of SQL Express and Visual Basic Express 2008?

Will I actually be able to design an applicaiton that several people can read data from at once with the express editions?

If you can indeed connect a Visual Studio 2008 Express project to a remote SQL Express 2005 server, how do I do this?

Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:19 PM

Answers

• The language specific Express like VB Express does not support remote connection only the Visual Web Developer support remote connection.  You could develop locally then make some changes to deploy to the remote SQL Server by changing your database to server instance and attaching it to SQL Server.  Here is the VS2005 features compare because there is no chart like this for VS2008.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:46 PM

All replies

• The language specific Express like VB Express does not support remote connection only the Visual Web Developer support remote connection.  You could develop locally then make some changes to deploy to the remote SQL Server by changing your database to server instance and attaching it to SQL Server.  Here is the VS2005 features compare because there is no chart like this for VS2008.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Thank you very much.  This is the resolute answer I've been looking for.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:20 PM