The Scc Display Information package did not load correctly - Visual 2015 - Update 3 (14.0.25431.01) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I launch the IDE, I get the error "The Scc Display Information package did not load correctly".

Here is the part that seems interesting in the ...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ActivityLog.xml file:

<entry>
        <record>531</record>
        <time>2017/02/10 12:03:58.679</time>
        <type>Information</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>Entering function CVsPackageInfo::HrInstantiatePackage</description>
        <guid>{D7BB9305-5804-4F92-9CFE-119F4CB0563B}</guid>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>532</record>
        <time>2017/02/10 12:03:58.679</time>
        <type>Information</type>
        <description>Begin package load [Scc Display Information]</description>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>533</record>
        <time>2017/02/10 12:03:58.695</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <description>SetSite failed for package [Scc Display Information]Source: &apos;mscorlib&apos; Description: An item with the same key has already been added.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.SccDisplayInformationService.LoadRegisteredSourceControlProviders()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.SccDisplayInformationService.Initialize(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, JoinableTaskFactory joinableTaskFactory, CancellationToken cancellationToken, ISccDisplayInformationTelemetryLogger telemetryLogger, INotifySolutionLoadCount notifySolutionLoadCount, ITippingInfoProvider tippingInfoProvider, IKeyBindingProvider keyBindingProvider)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.SccDisplayInformationPackage.InitializeAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.AsyncPackage.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass16_0.&lt;&lt;Microsoft-VisualStudio-Shell-Interop-IAsyncLoadablePackageInitialize-Initialize&gt;b__1&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.RethrowException(AggregateException e)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.InternalGetResult(Boolean ignoreUIThreadCheck)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.GetResult()</description>
        <hr>80070057 - E_INVALIDARG</hr>
        <errorinfo></errorinfo>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>534</record>
        <time>2017/02/10 12:03:58.742</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <description>End package load [Scc Display Information]</description>
        <hr>80070057 - E_INVALIDARG</hr>
        <errorinfo></errorinfo>
      </entry>

Friday, February 10, 2017 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Rico38,

According to your description, please refer to the following steps:

1). Delete the following two folders:

C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0 and

C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

2). Please run your VS in safe mode to see the results:

You could start VS in safe mode (devenv /SafeMode), which could prevent all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

Click Start->Developer Command Prompt for VS-> type “devenv.exe /SafeMode”

3). If my above two steps could not help you resolved this issue, please uninstall it and re-install it.

When you uninstall the VS, you could use VisualStudioUninstaller

https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller

to uninstall visual studio completely (please run it a couple times) 

Please let me know your latest results.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Oscar_Wu Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Oscar_Wu Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:46 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Thanks’ to try to help me, but unfortunately following your advices made things worst.

You could have advised me that by deleting those folder I will lose part of my configuration (tool bars customization,…)

Also now I have some other extensions that do not load any more !!!!

As I need some extensions, using SafeMode is not possible.

Uninstalling / Installing is too heavy job, and with no promised of results, so I think I will leave with this error message!

Regards.

• Edited by Rico38 Monday, February 20, 2017 9:46 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Hi Rico38,

Please repair the VS through the control panel.

Please click start->control panel-> programs and features->right-click Microsoft Visual Studio 2015->change->Repair

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

As I said I can leave with this issue for the moment.

As I have already spent too much time losing my configuration I’m little bit cautious and I will try your proposal later if this situation becomes really annoying.

Thank you for your support

Regards

Eric

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

I tried to use

> devenv.exe /RootSuffix MyEnv

This makes the error message to disappear

BUT using

> devenv.exe /ResetUserData

Did not clean the main profile so that the error did not disappear.

How to clean the main profile ?

Regards

Eric

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:43 PM
  • Hi Rico38,

My colleague has encountered the same issue as yours, and this issue has been resolved via uninstall and reinstall VS.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:36 AM