none
Memory Cap for a Windows Service to run in the background all the time on Windows 8.1 Device RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Store app that would run on a 2GB windows 8.1 Pro tablet. I want to create a service that would run in the background and more than one store app can utilize that service. The question I have is , is there any memory usage limit for the service to run on a 2 GB RAM tablet?

I am expecting that the service might use 900 MB of RAM when its operational .

Kindly help 

Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For this situation, it seems that you create a wcf service and host the service on windows service which is running on the 2GB windows 8.1 Pro tablet. And other store app in the tablet can utilize that service.

If you want to limit the memory usage for the service, it's recommended that you could host the wcf service on other machine, such as a computer. You just call the service from the store application if you want to invoke the service.

Regards

Friday, February 13, 2015 5:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For this situation, it seems that you create a wcf service and host the service on windows service which is running on the 2GB windows 8.1 Pro tablet. And other store app in the tablet can utilize that service.

If you want to limit the memory usage for the service, it's recommended that you could host the wcf service on other machine, such as a computer. You just call the service from the store application if you want to invoke the service.

Regards

Friday, February 13, 2015 5:56 AM
  • Thank you for replying , i actually wanted to know if my service occupies more than 70 to 80 % of RAM will the OS kill my process from running or there are no any such restrictions.. Kindly Reply.

MJ

Friday, February 20, 2015 6:05 AM