Unable to delete file on Azure File Share. The specified resource may be in use by an SMB client. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have Azure File Share that has been mapped to a local computer. I am trying to delete a file from the file share however am getting the following error: "Failed to delete file 'FileProcessing/Desc1/File.csv'. Error: The specified resource may be in use by an SMB client". Trying to delete from my mapped drive I get that the file is open by another program. 

I have shutdown the computer with the mapping, however still receive the message above when trying to delete from Azure on a different computer without the mapping. 

The file server is used by Azure Data Factory however, there are no pipelines currently running and all connections/datasets no longer reference that specific file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hello Chris,

Thanks for posting here. It looks like still there are some clients accessing the share.

Please check if there is any other client accessing the share?

Are you deleting this file from the Azure portal?

Create another test file in the same account for testing purpose and see if that is also showing this behavior.

You can refer the similar issue here and here.

If you haven’t tried this already, please try the Azure File Service REST API to delete the file in file share in the following reference link.

Ref:- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn689085.aspx

Kindly, Let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 4:38 AM

All replies

• Hello Chris,

Thanks for posting here. It looks like still there are some clients accessing the share.

Please check if there is any other client accessing the share?

Are you deleting this file from the Azure portal?

Create another test file in the same account for testing purpose and see if that is also showing this behavior.

You can refer the similar issue here and here.

If you haven’t tried this already, please try the Azure File Service REST API to delete the file in file share in the following reference link.

Ref:- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn689085.aspx

Kindly, Let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 4:38 AM
  • Thank you for the response Yaswanthm! I managed to deleted the file, I believe that the file was being locked by a process in Azure Data Factory. 

You post was helpful, as it provided additional information on Azure File Shares and the ability to unlock locked files.

Thanks

Chris

Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:35 AM
  • Glad to know that it helped you !
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:07 AM