Missing Windows Store project templates in Visual Studio Ultimate

Question

• I am running Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate with Update 1 on Windows 8. I have installed the Windows SDK and have acquired a developer license. When creating a new project under Installed > Templates > Visual C#, Windows Store is missing. Is there a place where I can download these templates?

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:10 AM

All replies

• Hi pmglass,

Does Windows Store templates worked without problem before you installed WIndows SDK?

Please try the following common steps to reset and reinstall your templates first:

1.       Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE);
    2.       Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder;
    3.       Open VS2012 Developer Command Prompt for VS2012 under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator);
    4.       Run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates switch;
    5.       Run the devenv /Setup switch

By the way, you can also try use your DVD to repair VS from control panel.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 22, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Hello Barry,

I have tried what you have suggested and ran the Visual Studio repair and the Windows Store templates are still missing. Is there anything else I can try?

Michael Glass

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Hi pmglass,

When you tried repair VS from control panel, have you got any error message?

Please share a screenshot of your File-> New projects.

Then try reset VS by Tools->Import and Export Settings-> Reset Settings

If the error persists, please use  http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/   and share the link here.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 25, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Barry,

I have tried resetting my settings with no luck. I have included the log files at the below link.

http://sdrv.ms/10HdTUo

Here is a image of my new projects screen.

Michael Glass

Monday, March 25, 2013 11:06 PM
  • Also, looking at the install directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp, I am seeing a folder for Windows Store. Not sure if this helps diagnose the issue.

Michael Glass

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:20 AM
  • Hi Michael,

It seems your installation is corrupt from the following errors:

[1950:2170][2013-03-22T09:17:15]: Error 0x80070490: Failed to verify expected payload certificate with any certificate in the actual certificate chain.
    [1950:2170][2013-03-22T09:17:15]: Error 0x80070490: Failed to verify signature of payload: webdeploy_x64_en_usmsi_902

Try refer to this page first:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

Then uninstall and reinstall VS2012 and collect fresh logs a second time if the error persists.

By the way, you'd better use this tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290 to verify hash of the iso. The point of the exercise is to generate a hash value (or values) - MD5 and SHA1 - from the .iso file so that it/they can be checked against the known value(s) for that file. Any discrepancy would indicate that the file was corrupted.

Regards,

Barry Wang

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:51 AM
  • @Michael Are you running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

Store App templates are only available in VS 2013 Ultimate on Windows 8.1. You'll have to upgrade your OS in order to avail of them.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:08 PM
  • According to this article the template should be supported on windows 8 too!!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br211384.aspx

Damir Dobric
    developers.de
    daenet.de
    daenet.eu
    daenet.com

Saturday, July 6, 2013 2:46 PM
  • I had the problem when upgrading from Visual Studio 2012 Professional Update 2 to Update 3 on Windows 8 that I couldn't use the Windows Store templates anymore. I couldn't use a lot more templates even if I tried to include them via the command line while Visual Studio wasn't running. Because I had problems with admin privileges I used compatibility mode so I can overcome some writing issues to an ASP.NET website. This didn't seem to cause problems when upgrading to newer updates of Visual Studio but it causes the problem of the missing templates. Because you can use Visual Studio 2012 also on Windows 7 there is a disable feature to cause the Windows 8 Store templates not to be included in Windows 7. I disabled the compatibility mode for Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8 and I didn't even have to add the templates again. They were added automatically when I started Visual Studio again.

There are also people trying to reinstall Visual Studio 2012 thinking it might solve their problems only to find out nothing seems to have changed. The compatibility setting aren't removed when you remove Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8.

• Proposed as answer by I Nuijen Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:01 AM
    • Edited by I Nuijen Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:12 AM added information useful for other people
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:59 AM
  • I am having the same problem. I have VS2012, and have noticed that I no longer have the Windows 8 Store Apps Templates.  I have uninstalled VS2012, and reinstalled the original VS2012, and the Templates are still missing !  So on the Re install I am on VS Build 11.050727 RTMREL on a Windows 7 machine. Before the Reinstall I tried the  devenv /InstallVSTemplates and devenv /Setup which made no difference.  Somehow in the various VS Updates, the Templates have been deleted and disabled ??

Can someone explain how to download or recover the Windows 8 Store Templates please ?

[Note this is on a second Developer machine, to the other Thread I have posted, where I am still trying to establish a connection to Lumia RT Tablet.  I wanted to try from this machine, only to find I cannot build W8 Apps anymore.]  

Silverlight an XNA Fan

• Edited by JulesW Friday, December 13, 2013 3:16 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Sometimes it's not in the main menu, you have to go to:

• Projekt -> Store
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:21 PM
  • You can edit an existing win 8 but you cannot create a new one in vs 2013
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 3:55 PM