Windows Defender Update gets installed but still shows up in Update list

Question

• Hi,

I have the Problem that one Windows Update (Windows Defender Defination update) gets installed without error, but if I search for updates again, then it is displaayed again.

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:23 PM

All replies

• Hey Alexander,

Does running the Action Center Windows Update troubleshooter help?

Regards,

Bobby

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:59 PM
    Answerer
  • It doesn't find any problem, so it doesn't help
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Now I get the Error Code 80070003, if I say try again then the descriped behavior is there again
    Friday, September 23, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Try the steps in the KB article below but don't use the Automatict Fixit since it was written for other operating sytems. Instead use the manual steps and see if they help.  

Article ID: 910336 -You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server Update Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Hi Marilyn,

I did try the steps, but I have to say that the error (80070003)is gone if i try again anyway, is's just not installing.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Alexander,

I am getting a little confused.
    Did the update for Windows Defender install or is it installed but is continued to be offered in the Windows Updates?
    Marilyn
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:35 PM
  • The first time it didn't get installed (80070003) error , and after that it gets installed acording to the update history, but still gets offered by windows update
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Hey Alexander,

Now I understand better what is happening.

I suggest you look at the steps in the following KB article.
    Article ID: 910339 - How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

However, don't use the Automatic Fixit as it is for other operating systems and I am not sure it would work on Windows Developer preview.
    But you can use the manual steps.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

Would you please tell me which version of Defender Definition Update keeps getting reoffered? In Windows Update history it will be something like (Definition 1.113.303.0). Thank you.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Hi Leo Lie,

Currently Version 1.113.330.0:

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:11 AM
  • Hi Leo Lie,

Currently Version 1.113.330.0, before 1.113.259, 240,126,32,1.111.2565

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:11 AM
  • Hey Marilyn,

I tryed that but got the following problems:

1. Step: Install the tool to remove malicious software:
    I can't find a download that works with win8

2. Step: Use spyware-fighting software and antivirus software to scan the computer

I ran a Windows defender scan and a spybot scan, but with no problems should I try other aoftware ?

3. Install the update in Safe Mode

I can't find a download so I can't install it in safe mode.

I will try to install the files in the '\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download' folder

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Running these files in safemode didn't change anything
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:40 AM
  • Hello Alexander,

I don't believe I read your issue carefully enough and didn't see it was always for Windows Defender.

You will continue to be offered Windows Defender Updates. They will always be KB 2267602, but the definitions will be different versions and should usually be a higher version number.  This is normal behavior for an AntiVirus product from Microsoft. 

When you get an error such as 80070003, the new version update will be offered again until it has been installed.

Let me know if this answers your questions.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I apologize for the late reply. It does not seems like you are being reoffered the same definition update everytime as your version has increased from 126 to 330. Marilyn is correct that you will continue to get Defender Definition update every day, with each one being the new version.

It's only an issue if it's reinstalling say 330 everyday.

Thank you,

Leo

Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:02 PM
  • I did get the Version 126 multiple times. I even have it multiple times in the list of the installed updates. Same goes for the Version 330
    Friday, October 07, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Hello Alexander, 

Please post a screen shot of your Windows Update page so we can see exactly what you are describing.

Thanks

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:03 PM

• Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Go to your event viewer and check the System Event viewer.

On the Start Screen, type in Event Viewer. This brings up the Apps Search screen. Click on Settings.
    Double click open event viewer logs.

On the left hand side, open up system event viewer logs.
    You can go to the Source column and double click to open in Alphabetical order so you can see all of the Windows Update entries.
    Then double click to see if there are any specific error codes when the Windows Update Definiton update fails.

Then reply back with the specific error codes so I can help further.

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:28 PM