SQL 2012 Best Practice Analyzer issue with nothing available in pulldown on Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer V2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• We have tried using both a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 machine and still cannot see any items available in the pulldown (ie. no sql 2012 or anything)  Is this a known issue and BPA does not work for SQL 2012?  Any suggestions?  I've seen several posts with the same issue but, no resolution.

Laura

Friday, March 29, 2013 4:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

use

SQL Server 2012 Best Practices Analyzer ( download from below URL and check the URL for more info on this) and for using  SQL SERVER 2012 BPA  you need to have Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer V2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=29302

hope this helps.

Regards,

Ramakrishna | Please mark Answer if the given solution answered/resolved your question, Vote it as helpful if it is.

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:28 PM
  • We did that. In baseline configuration analyzer you are supposed to be able to pull down the product I.e SQL 2012 but ours is empty. Bpa did install sucessfully as did msbca. Any other

suggestions? Much appreciated!

Laura

Friday, March 29, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi Laura,

I installed Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2.0 successfully. I can select a product: SQL Server 2012 BPA. Do you mean this?

Thanks.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Maggie Luo
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 1, 2013 8:49 AM
  • That is exactly what I mean.. mine is blank - just shows select.  We tried this on a windows 7 workstation as well as windows 8 and a server all had the same issue and none showed any errors installing either tool.

Laura

Monday, April 1, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Hi Laura,

The BPA runs on the following OSs: Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008. The tool also runs on any edition of SQL Server 2012, but it's not backward compatible. The BPA requires PowerShell 2.0 and MBCA 2.0. In addition, the user must be an administrator on the target machines because MBCA requires administrator privileges. Also, the user must have systems administrator privileges on the target instance of SQL Server. Please check it.

Thanks.

Maggie Luo

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Thanks Maggie,

We had all of those prerequisites installed and were local administrators on all boxes and in SQL (though we never got to the point where that would have mattered since we couldn't select a product).  I'm even trying to test it on my local machine with the same issue (windows 8 with sql 2012 developer edition installed)

Thanks,

Laura

Laura

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Hi Laura,

Any progress?

Thank you for your question. 

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Maggie Luo

Friday, April 5, 2013 2:02 AM
  • Hi Maggie,

I haven't had any time to work on it further but, there weren't any new suggestions to try either so it's still in the same status.

Thanks,

Laura

Laura

Saturday, April 6, 2013 5:55 AM
  • Hi Maggie,

It's the same to us. We installed today the MBCA 2.0 and then the SQL 2012 BPA. Both are installed on the localhost, where the SQL 2012 resides. But we only see:

Nothing to select in the dropdown <Select>-field. Even when we select the local host by "Connect to Another Computer" from Active Directory. The servers locale is German-Germany (DE-DE) and it's a Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition with GUI.

We have no idea how to solve this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

Vienna, Austria

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

You can try to follow this article for checking installation of SQL BPA: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2010/06/21/known-issues-installing-sql-2008-r2-bpa-relating-to-remoting.aspx

-First check on event log is there any mentioned error related to installation.

-Then you also can check on control panel->Programs and Features to check if SQL BPA mentioned there.

If SQL BPA exists on control panel->Programs and Features then you can try following steps:

- goto folder: %Programdata%\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models\SQL2012BPA\Setup

- right click script file "Setup.ps1", then choose "run with PowerShell"

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:34 AM
  • Thanks for your answer. The BPA and and the MBCA installed sucessfully. No error encountered. But we didn't find the folder %Programdata%\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models\. Only the folders \en, \Logs and \Modules are available below %Programdata%\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\.

We think, that's the reason, why we can't see the BPA in the <Select>-pull down menue.

Is it possible to create and populate the \Models-folder manually?

Best regards,

Peter

Note: In the meanwhile we installed MBCA and BPA SQL 2012 on a Windows 8 PC. No errors, but the a. m. folder is missing too.
    • Edited by pgerula Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:00 PM Added content
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

Try to repair the installation.

Or enable logging to get MSI log to know what happen when running install: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

Regards,
    Christian HL

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:57 AM
  • Same issue as pgerula... nothing in the Models folder.  I did try a repair but, that was not successful. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling next.

Laura

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:59 PM
  • Uninstall and reinstall of BPA did not help. (no errors in the event logs and BPA shows up in control panel programs but, model folder is empty) I'm running windows 8 so I cannot use the link above for logging.

Laura

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:08 PM
  • I'm encountering the same issue with the drop down menu not being populated nor any modules created for SQL 2012 BPA.  I've tried all of the above without any succes.  Has a solution been found to correct the issue?  If so, could someone post it please.

Kevin

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:39 PM
  • I've run some additional tests trying to get MBCA to work and was able to successfully run MBCA 2.0 on a SQL 2012 server (Server B) running on a Window 2008 R2 OS.  The SQL 2012 BPA displayed properly in the dropdown and I successfully ran a scan.  On my SQL 2012 Server running Windows Server 2012 OS (Server A), I still do not get a dropdown.

However, if I run MBCA on Server 'A' and 'Connect to Another Computer' and select my SQL 2012 \ Win 2008 R2 server (Server B), it connects and drop down populates successfully and I can run a remote scan from Server 'A'.  I also tried the reverse, running from Server 'B' and 'Connect to Another Computer' to connect to Server 'A', but still do not get a the dropdown to populate.

My assumption is the issue resides with the MBCA running on the Windows 2012 Server OS since I can run scans on any server running on lower OS versions.

Kevin

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Apparently it said on the link for SQL 2012 BPA only supported to run on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=29302

I'm not test whether it can work or not on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, but I can make my SQL 2012 BPA show up in MBCA 2.0. Here are the steps that I done:

1). Install SQL 2012 BPA.

2). Goto folder c:\Windows\System32\BestPractices\v1.0\Models

3). copy "SQL2012BPA" folder into c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models

4). Run MBCA again.

Note: MSI logging setting still work on Windows 8 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300) by edit registry manually as mentioned there. Using this I found installation directory for SQL 2012 BPA.

Regards,
    Christian HL

• Edited by Christian HL - MSFT Friday, April 26, 2013 2:19 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Slardy Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:47 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 2:19 AM
  • Thanks Christian

Copying the files worked for my 2012 Server.

Thanks

Darien

Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Copying the folder worked for me.

Thanks Christian!

Manu.

• Edited by -Sid- Monday, December 30, 2013 4:25 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 4:24 PM
  • copying the folder worked for me too

Thanks

Paul

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:21 PM
  • the path  %Programdata%\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models\SQL2012BPA\Setup in REGEDIT is diferent to c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models

update de path

Monday, April 28, 2014 4:39 AM
  • Hi Christian,

In looking through this thread, things looked promising, but unfortunately for me, I still do not have a working version of MBCA. I'm trying to run SQL2008R2BPA, installed correctly, I see all of the data in: c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models\SQL2008R2BPA, but I cannot get the product list to populate. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I should point out that when I bring up the MBCA gui I get an error dialog:

"windows powershell updated your execution policy successfully, but the setting is overridden by the policy defined at a more specific scope"

Thanks.

Friday, June 20, 2014 5:43 PM
  • Rene,

Could you tell me more about this Registry path that you speak of? I think this may be my issue. Thanks.

Friday, June 20, 2014 5:45 PM
  • Copy the "SQL2012BPA" folders from "C:\Windows\System32\BestPractices\v1.0\Models" and past under  "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models" now launch MBCA.

My self Kaliyan from India I have 10 Yeas of extensive experience in IT Infrastructure implementation

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:04 AM
  • This is the answer!  Thank you Christian HL
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Thank you Christian, this is what resolved the issue for me too
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 4:23 PM
  • Step-by-step instructions:

1. Install the Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer v2 (BCA) – This will install to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer

2\. Install the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Best Practices Analyzer (SQL BPA)– This will install to C:\Windows\System32\BestPractices\v1.0\Models\SQL2012BPA\.

3. Navigate to the directory C:\Windows\System32\BestPractices\v1.0\Models and right-click the SQL2012BPA folder and make a copy.

4.Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models\ and paste the SQL2012BPA folder in this new location.

( Note ProgramData is hidden folder which you need to see after checking "Hidden Items" in view of your file explorer)

5.Start the BCA with Run As Administrator and you will now see the SQL Server 2012 BPA listed in the “Select a product” dropdown.

Monday, May 16, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hi Laura,

I had the same issue, and here's what I did - take particular note on step #7 since that may very well be your issue:

Installing and using SQL Best Practice Analyzer on Server 2012 R2

1. Build a Server 2012 R2 machine and install the feature “Windows Powershell –> Windows Powershell 2.0 Engine” from the server manager.  Without this feature, the installation will generate the error “Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2.0 requires PowerShell 2.0 to be pre-installed on the system.” and the install will fail.

2. Download and install the Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer v2 (BCA) – This will install to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\

3. Download and install the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Best Practices Analyzer (SQL BPA)– This will install to C:\Windows\System32\BestPractices\v1.0\Models\SQL2012BPA\. 

4. Download and install the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Best Practices Analyzer (SQL BPA)– This will install correctly into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models\SQL2008R2BPA\.

5. Navigate to the directory C:\Windows\System32\BestPractices\v1.0\Models and right-click the SQL2012BPA folder and make a copy. 

6. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2\Models\ and paste the SQL2012BPA folder in this new location. 

7. Move the computer to an OU in Active Directory which does not force any PowerShell execution policy.  This is critical - if GP is used in any way to set the execution policy on the computer's powershell, you will have empty drop-downs when you try to select a product inside the Baseline Configuration Analyzer.  Accomplish this however you like (I do it with GP Overrides).

8. Reboot

9. Create a shortcut to the Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer.  Right-click the shortcut and Start the BCA with Run As Administrator and you will now see the SQL Server 2012 BPA and SQL Server 2008 BPA listed in the “Select a product” dropdown.

10. Run the SQL Best Practice Analyzer as needed.  Note:  if you want to scan a remote SQL server from your server, it's not as intuitive as you might think...scan it as follows:

a. On the home screen, select the SQL version you'll be scanning - either 2008 or 2012 - they aren't cross-compatible 

b. Selecting your product will then un-grey the "Enter Parameters" selection.  Select "Enter Parameters" and enter the NetBIOS name of the server that has the SQL installation in the "Alternate_Server_to_Scan" field.  Select all the applicable checkboxes in order to do additional analysis, and then click "Start Scan".  That should run a successful remote scan.  DO NOT try to use the "Connect to another computer" option on the "Home" tab to scan a remote computer - that's not how the tool works (go figure...).

Friday, May 20, 2016 6:05 PM