none
Disabled Save But Still Not Working On New Sheets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I've created a template that the only way to save the file is save as through a button. If you try the menus a message will come up and say its not going to work this method. Now when the user saves the file through the button it works and successfully creates a new file. The problem is though the save macro for some reason stops working on the template file. I tried this with office 2010 and 2016 but still the issue persisted. Is there any way to keep the save option disabled after a new file is generated from the template?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 11:40 PM

Answers

• Could you please tell me how users use the template?  

AFAIK, if I open a template and want to save the file, Save/SaveAs are the same function to save as the file. In other word, the template has been applied to the new file, so there is no step to save the template

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Hi I figured it out

I had to change Application.EnableEvents = False To True!

Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

>>I've created a template that the only way to save the file is save as through a button.

What code do you use and how do you customize the template?  Do you create a document-level customization using VSTO or custom UI by Custom UI Editor?

If possible, I suggest you share us your template here. We could try to reproduce and find the causes.

>> Now when the user saves the file through the button it works and successfully creates a new file. The problem is though the save macro for some reason stops working on the template file. 

Does “save macro” refer to the button? Meaning, after clicking the button, it would successfully the file, but the template file stops working?

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:05 AM
  • Hello,

>>I've created a template that the only way to save the file is save as through a button.

What code do you use and how do you customize the template?  Do you create a document-level customization using VSTO or custom UI by Custom UI Editor?

If possible, I suggest you share us your template here. We could try to reproduce and find the causes.

>> Now when the user saves the file through the button it works and successfully creates a new file. The problem is though the save macro for some reason stops working on the template file. 

Does “save macro” refer to the button? Meaning, after clicking the button, it would successfully the file, but the template file stops working?

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Hi, I don't think I can post the template because its company property, maybe I can do a video. Its in excel using vba code. Your second point >>Does “save macro” refer to the button? Meaning, after clicking the button, it would successfully the file, but the template file stops working?"

is true.

But that macro is for save as. Save As and Save are two different things, on the template that only way that users can save is through the button, which serves as a Save as button. But the save functionality, like CTRL + S is disabled. Whenever the user preforms the save as new file and goes back to the template, the CTRL +S is enabled again.   
    • Edited by crusader88 Wednesday, February 8, 2017 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 8:29 PM

AFAIK, if I open a template and want to save the file, Save/SaveAs are the same function to save as the file. In other word, the template has been applied to the new file, so there is no step to save the template

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:00 AM

MSDN Community Support

Hi I figured it out

I had to change Application.EnableEvents = False To True!

Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad that you figure out the issue.

I suggest you mark your solution as answer to close the thread.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Friday, February 10, 2017 2:17 AM