Stuck on the Rainbow Screen RRS feed

• Question

• After following the instructions and the proper eject, the PI is “Stuck on the Rainbow Screen”.

ERM

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:25 AM

Answers

• I fixed this problem by using a high-speed card: 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/memory-storage/memory-cards/sd/MB-SGBGB/EU

This one is 80MB read 40MB write

Monday, August 31, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Maybe you want to check how 'full' the SD card is.

I think the fully exploded image is 7.2 GB in volume. If it is less, you might have a broken image / boot drive.

Did you connect it to a Network? Maybe the DHCP handshake breaks the device. *just guessing*.

Best regards, Tobi

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 6:32 AM

All replies

• May you please provider further information like:

• Is this behavior reproduceable?
    • Which instructions?
    • Any error messages visible?

Regards, Tobi

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 11:26 AM
  • Additionally, please make certain that you are using either an 8 GB or 16 GB Class 10 SD card.  If you are, then it could be that the power source is not providing a consistent level of power.

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:14 PM
  • Hi! I have the same problem.

The micro SD is correct: I tried one 16Gb Class 1 / Class 10 PNY, a 8Gb Class 10 SanDisk and a 8Gb Class 10 SanDisk faster then the before one but still on the rainbow screen. I've waited from 10 min to one hour, but nothing. I've rebuilt the image more and more. The supplier is a PC supplier, but a 2A supplier do not change anything.

I've follow the instruction at this link http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm lots of time but... still the rainbow screen.

What's happen?

Thanx a lot to all

D.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:04 PM
  • An 8Gb class 10 SD card is adequate.

If you have something else to write the SD card, try that.

Try writing Raspbian to the card and see if that will boot.

Try a different power supply.

Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:56 PM
  • Maybe you want to check how 'full' the SD card is.

I think the fully exploded image is 7.2 GB in volume. If it is less, you might have a broken image / boot drive.

Did you connect it to a Network? Maybe the DHCP handshake breaks the device. *just guessing*.

Best regards, Tobi

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 6:32 AM
  • I have also tried installing windows 10 iot on raspberry pi 2 but stuck on the rainbow screen. Tried with two brand new micro sd cards class 10, 8 gb and 16 gb with dedicated 2A power supply. But no luck.
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:04 PM
  • I have also tried installing windows 10 iot on raspberry pi 2 but stuck on the rainbow screen. Tried with two brand new micro sd cards class 10, 8 gb and 16 gb with dedicated 2A power supply. But no luck.
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Has anyone solved this?
    Monday, August 31, 2015 12:45 PM
  • I fixed this problem by using a high-speed card: 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/memory-storage/memory-cards/sd/MB-SGBGB/EU

This one is 80MB read 40MB write

Monday, August 31, 2015 3:28 PM
  • I have found that a number of "Class 10" cards may not be really a 10.  

I am using Samsung EVO's and the seem to work pretty well.

Harold

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Had the same problem. Used Noobs (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/) to install the sd card instead of IoT Dashboard
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:12 PM
  • Hey there,

I went online and found out that I can get Windows 10 on my Raspberry pi 2 so I downloaded the image and flashed it to my sd card. I inserted it into my raspberry pi and it gets stuck at a rainbow screen. I went online and people said to try different power supplies and different sd cards. I tried all of those things but still no luck. I also tried flashing the image again to my sd card but still it did not work. So can anyone please help me!

Thanks,

Randy

Sunday, September 25, 2016 8:24 PM
  • Hi Randy,

Few questions here:

- what is the maximum amps your power supplier can provide? The ideal one is providing up to 2 Amps / 10 Watts. 

- did you check if there is any content on your sd card after your flashed OS to it? Last time I got the rainbow screen because the sd card was blank. (Something was wrong with the flashing process, which leave the sd card blank)

Thanks,

Ric

Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:46 PM
  • I had the same issue with an R Pi2.  This Pi2 works fine with Raspian.

I have set up an R Pi3, and this is working fine.

I then want to set up an R Pi2 B+

I burned a new SD card (Kingston 16GB Class 10) with the Windows IoT image.  This card ran fine in the Pi3.  But the Pi2 just sits with the rainbow screen.  I'm really puzzled by now.  Tried reburning the card, etc, with same result:  Pi3 ok, Pi2 bad.

I repeated the SD card burn a few times, all via the IoT Dashboard.  Putting directly to the Pi2 and also in the Pi3.  Putting in the Pi2 was stuck on the rainbow screen for 1+ hour.  In the Pi3 it would bring up the local start window screen then stay on 'wait' for a long time, but the remote IoT Dashboard would identify the Pi3 and allow remote connection.  It took ~20 minutes for the onboarding to finish and present the local home windows.  I'm guessing that moving a Pi3 card to a Pi2 may not work, so I repeated the SD card process to check if it would work with a fresh download, but no progress.

So, I know:

Pi2 is OK (works in Raspian)

SD card is OK (works on Pi3)

PSU is OK (powers Pi3 and Pi2 with Raspian)

Ethernet is OK

Windows IoT = 10.0.14393.0

• Edited by johnmcdnz Monday, October 10, 2016 11:39 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 6:40 AM
  • Hi johnmcdnz,

Just have some questions:

- Which OS version are you using?

- After your flashed the SD card, did you put it on RPi 2 directly? Or you put it in RPi 3, made it running and then take the SD card from RPi3 and put into RPi 2?

- How did you flash the SD card, using IoT Dashboard or some other tool?

Thanks,

Ric

Monday, October 10, 2016 11:14 PM
  • Ric, 

just updated my response with your questions.  Thought it better to keep my info in a single answer.  I'm happy to test any suggestions you have.

Monday, October 10, 2016 11:40 PM
  • Hi johnmcdnz,

I just tested the 10.0.14393.0 on RPi 2 on my end. It works fine. 

Here is my case:

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B v1.1

Tool: Windows IoT Core Image Helper 

Please try to flash your SD card with the Image Helper tool (it locates at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft IoT). 

I think in IoT Dashboard, it allows you to set your RPi connect to a preferred network when starting up. But RPi2 does not have a built-in WiFi, that may cause some issue. However, I am not able to do any test against that idea, so it is just a guess.

Ric

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:14 AM
  •  I used DISM to build the image as per link below, using the Raspbery Pi flash.ffu image I'd previously downloaded

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/samples/dism

I didn't have a tool on c: as you described.

Result on the Pi2 is the rainbow screen again.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:20 AM
  • hmm...

Another thing we can check is your DISM version. 

Mine is 10.0.14262.1000

No idea if that will make any difference when flashing the SD card. 

And I think I gave you a wrong location for the Image Helper Tool. 

It locates at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft IoT\

Cheers,

Ric

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:45 AM
  • HI Ric,

Version: 10.0.14393.0

perhaps a coincidence this is the version of the Pi image also (?)  

Not making any difference, so I've given up on the pi2 and will work on my pi3.

thanks for your assistance.  good to know you have taken an interest.

J.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:28 AM
  • I have this exact problem. 

• pi2B + 2.1v power.
    • Toshiba 16Gb card and Scandisk 16Gb card. Both SDHC class 10 cards.
    • Both brand new unused cards
    • Both worked with Noobs to build Rasperian.
    • Both formatted each time with SD card formatter
    • Carefully ejected after flashing
    • Windows IOT Dashboard and IO Core Helper. Both same result.
    • Wired ethernet connection
    • Downloaded latest core.
    • Downloaded IOT Core RPi.IOS specifically for Pi2B (apparently)

Tried with Noobs which lists all sort of o/s options (so the internet connection is working) but Windows IOT isn't event listed here as a build option.

Any clues? Do I just need to buy a Pi3?

• Edited by Dweebed Friday, April 13, 2018 7:57 PM Enhanced text
    Friday, April 13, 2018 7:54 PM
  • @Dweebed

can you verify the version of your Raspberry Pi 2 ? if its V1.2 its not supported (if you buy a Raspberry Pi 3 please note currently there is no support for the new released Raspberry Pi 3B+)

br
    Andre

Friday, April 13, 2018 8:13 PM
  • Hi I am having a problem getting windows10 to boot.

I used the IoT dashboard to load an image to a Sandisk ultra microSDHC 16G card.

I have tried SD cards formatted for NTFs and Fat32.  

The process completed normally and the SD card had some files written to the card.

I then insert the SD card into my Rasb pi and apply power

The screen just shows a coloured rectangle with 4 different colours showing in the corners.

The power light on the Raspi comes on but the green immediately beside the power led does not light up.

I have tried the same pi with a noobs image and it boots to rasbian in a few seconds and then I can logon.

So I think I may be doing something wrong with the Windows Not image load process.

What diagnostic steps can you suggest?

Regards

Peter.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:03 PM
  • Hi baylis_p,

As you can see from this thread there are many reasons you might get the "rainbow" screen on the RPi.  I recommend the following:

1. Review this thread

2. Search for other threads regarding the "Rainbow Screen" both here and in other forums (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=WindowsIoT&sort=relevancedesc&brandIgnore=True&searchTerm=rainbow)

3. Tell us far more about your hardware setup including all versions, power supply and anything attached to your Pi.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Hi, 

I'm running on a rpi3, flashed with iot dashboard, and still have the rainbow screen. I'm plugged in via usb to a power strip and have one of the suggested sd cards for this os (32 gb scandisk ultra plus) 

It would be very helpful if we could get a clear answer on this as it seems many others seem to be having the exact same issue with no real resolution. 

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:51 PM
  • "I'm plugged in via usb to a power strip " is likely not supplying enough power. Please ensure you are using a known power supply.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:56 PM
  • By power strip I mean an AC/DC adapter with an input of 100-240V ac 50/60Hz, and output of 5v 2500 mA. I really need this to work as I'm a mac user who bought windows 10 just to use iOt dashboard. N00bs works just fine, iot seems to be the only os not working. 
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:14 PM
  • As you can tell by the answers, all the rainbow screen tells us is that the Raspberry Pi is not recognizing your SD as bootable.  Can you please provide clear steps and details?  I have many of these boards running even with slow SD cards so my assumption is that there is something unique to your setup that you are not sharing.  If you meet all the requirements set out on WindowsOnDevices.com, your device should boot.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:22 PM
  • My setup has been as follows the 10-20 times I've tried:

1. format MS approved sd card
    2. insert formatted disk into my drive
    3. once in my drive I flash it as described in the tutorial on windowsondevices.com (select latest build of iot core, and click download)
    4. finally I safely eject my card and insert into pi3
    5. connect to monitor via hdmi, with pi powered by AC/DC 5v power cord
    6. Immediately goes to rainbow screen with no other available actions

Would you mind listing the appropriate steps or point out anything I might be missing?

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:33 PM
  • The key here is the SD card must become "bootable".  The format you are doing in step 1 may be making that impossible.  If the steps on the Microsoft Web site are not working for you, there are a few private blogs like this one https://jeremylindsayni.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/windows-10-iot-and-the-raspberry-pi-3-installation-failure-and-eventually-success/ that might give you more insight into what works and what does not.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:22 PM
  • I can burn the image to the card using the "Set up New Device" in the IoT Dashboard ap.  Everything finishes properly. Following the instructions on the video, I eject the card and place it into the Raspberry Pi 3B+. I power it up (I am connected to the network) and receive a rainbow screen, period.  

I've tried the procedure twice the the same results. What could I be missing?

Saturday, July 14, 2018 11:02 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

If you search this forum for the word "Rainbow" you can find other posters that had the same question and the answers they received.  I have added your message to this thread and recommend that you look at some of the previous answers for guidance.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Sunday, July 15, 2018 5:55 AM
  • Hello PatrickGLoop,

Which OS build did you select to burn to the SD card?

RPi 3B+ needs Insider Preview 17661. You can try to use this build.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 16, 2018 1:04 AM
  • Hi,

today I had the same problem.
    First I tried my new Rpi3 B+ for Win10 IoT, I was disappointed, to read, that it is not supported :(, hopefully it will be soon. First I had a Black screen, nothing was displayed, so I tried a to configure the config.txt with some luck, I got stuck at the rainbow screen. I put the sd card to my old RP2 an then it worked. So I think, the config.txt must be set properly dependent on your RPI. I will try now my luck on the RPI3 B+ hopefully I get a right setting. I will keep you update, if I have any luck.

My config.txt settings now:

# For more options and information see
    # http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md
    # Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details
    # GPU Firmware SHA256 checksum: 7CE2EF13CDD77F1782FFFF98533572503DF4B46765966CC7E18F6C6455B9623A
    # kernel.img SHA256 checksum: 6C82C8720BE4EFB2951BDC01FA187B0B659227033EB7D7DB5ACA6324FD644D7F
    # kernel.img git commit ID: f6706f4bd3b10c8294589f45082c8bdc4c50be59

#
    # Boot
    #
    init_uart_clock=16000000    # Set UART clock to 16Mhz
    kernel_old=1                # Load kernel.img at physical memory address 0x0
    safe_mode_gpio=8            # A temp firmware limitation workaround
    max_usb_current=1           # Enable maximum usb current

#
    # Memory
    #
    gpu_mem=32                  # Set VC to 32MB, ARM DRAM to (1008-32)MB
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1        # Enable HDMI display even if it is not connected (640x480)

#
    # Overclocking
    #
    core_freq=250               # Frequency of GPU processor core in MHz

#
    # Video

max_usb_current=1
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:01 PM
  • Thursday, October 18, 2018 4:10 AM
  • I very much think that this is a HW problem: I bought a second RPi for Windows IoT which showed exactly the rainbow problem. I tried several FFU versions -- nothing worked. Then I took my first RPi (which is used for home automation and runs Linux) and inserted the SD card with image version 17763: voilá, worked immediately. I now use the new RPi for my home automation (runs Linux without problems) and the "old" one for Windows IoT.

The RPis look very similar, but not 100% identical: there are suttle differences. I don't know how to find out which ones work and which not. If yours doesn't work you might want to lend one from someone else.

Erwin

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 2:50 PM