none
How to get Client ID and Client Secret for Office App for Word which accessing SharePoint Online RRS feed

• Question

• We are planing to develop a Office app to access SharePoint Online and SharePoint OnPremise from Microsoft word. When I go through the msdn articles and other learning resource they all referring about ClientId and ClientSecrect which we need to pass with authentication request for SharePoint. I have following questions.

1. If I'm publishing my Office App for Word in to the Microsoft office app store, how do I get the ClientId and ClientSecret which I need to pass to authenticate with SharePoint online?

2. If ClientId and ClientSecret not providing when we publishing Word Office App to the app store how what the ways which we can use to authenticate with SharePoint using Word Office app?

Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> We are planning to develop an Office app to access SharePoint Online and SharePoint on Premise from Microsoft word.

I’m not very familiar with SharePoint development, so please correct me if I have any misunderstandings about your requirement.

The basic components of an app for Office are an XML manifest file and the default webpage of your app (server side).

>> If I'm publishing my Office App for Word in to the Microsoft office app store, how do I get the ClientId and ClientSecret which I need to pass to authenticate with SharePoint online?

As far as I know, when register your web app to SharePoint Online, you will get the ClientId and ClientSecret from the Azure Active Directory. And you need to store the Client ID and Client Secret on the app server side.

For details, you could reference the article Building an Office 365 ASP.NET MVC app.

>> If ClientId and ClientSecret not providing when we publishing Word Office App to the app store how what the ways which we can use to authenticate with SharePoint using Word Office app?

You don’t need to provide the ClientId and ClientSecret when publishing your App to App Store. They are stored on your app server side.

By the way, if you have the question about how to access the SharePoint resource in a Web Application, I will suggest you posting the questions to SharePoint Development Forum. For this forum, we mainly discuss the questions about using the Office JavaScript API to develop Apps for Office.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 10, 2015 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> We are planning to develop an Office app to access SharePoint Online and SharePoint on Premise from Microsoft word.

I’m not very familiar with SharePoint development, so please correct me if I have any misunderstandings about your requirement.

The basic components of an app for Office are an XML manifest file and the default webpage of your app (server side).

>> If I'm publishing my Office App for Word in to the Microsoft office app store, how do I get the ClientId and ClientSecret which I need to pass to authenticate with SharePoint online?

As far as I know, when register your web app to SharePoint Online, you will get the ClientId and ClientSecret from the Azure Active Directory. And you need to store the Client ID and Client Secret on the app server side.

For details, you could reference the article Building an Office 365 ASP.NET MVC app.

>> If ClientId and ClientSecret not providing when we publishing Word Office App to the app store how what the ways which we can use to authenticate with SharePoint using Word Office app?

You don’t need to provide the ClientId and ClientSecret when publishing your App to App Store. They are stored on your app server side.

By the way, if you have the question about how to access the SharePoint resource in a Web Application, I will suggest you posting the questions to SharePoint Development Forum. For this forum, we mainly discuss the questions about using the Office JavaScript API to develop Apps for Office.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 10, 2015 8:36 AM
  • So conclusion is when I publish Office Store App it will not return me a Client Id and a Client Secret. If I'm only publishing SharePoint App to the SharePoint app store it will provide me a Client Id and a Client Secret. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you for response.
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:14 AM