Why does ExWeb3 now insert "&20" between words when editing a hyperlink? RRS feed

• Question

• Since I re-installed ExpressionWeb3 on my new Windows7 computer, whenever I edit a hyperlink, the characters %20 are inserted wherever there is a space between words.  The hyperlink will not function until I manually remove each "&20" from the hyperlink.  It didn't used to do this.  Why now?  Is there an options setting I'm missing? Thanks.
    • Moved by Lori DirksModerator Monday, August 8, 2011 7:00 PM moving to the Web forum (From:Expression Community Site Feedback)
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:52 PM

All replies

• As you have identified, the %20 is the code-equivalent of the space-bar.

Spaces in filenames (especially for hyperlinks) is discouraged, because it can break the links (as per the problem you have).

Separate the words in using one of the following methods, for example: this_is_a_file.html (underscore between words) or this-is-file.html (hyphen between words),or ThisIsAFile.html (each word with a capital letter).

This means, of course, you need to start naming the actual HTML files (or others)  with the above methods, not just making the hyperlinks as such.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    Monday, August 8, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Spaces break links and file paths. Expression Web is trying to protect you from bad naming conventions by encoding the space in a way that a server can understand. It has always done that but you may  not have been looking at code view or split view and not noticed.

Do yourself a favor and rename your files so they either have no spaces or - inbetween the words.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Monday, August 8, 2011 11:15 PM
  • This is why (from w3schools):

URL Encoding

URLs can only be sent over the Internet using the ASCII character-set.

Since URLs often contain characters outside the ASCII set, the URL has to be converted into a valid ASCII format.

URL encoding replaces non ASCII characters with a "%" followed by two hexadecimal digits.

URLs cannot contain spaces. URL encoding normally replaces a space with a + sign.

So, whether you encode it yourself, or let EW do it, or let the server do it, a space must be encoded, because "URLs cannot contain spaces."

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:27 AM