Enterprise .NET application architecture blueprint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi fellow architects,

With the release of .NET framework 3.5, I have been retooling the architecture blueprint for couple months now and finally was able to put something together...

Would like to share it with the community.

Here is the link to blueprint...

http://gajakannan.com/netarch.aspx

one question, that I am still struggling in my mind is "Business Entities"...  Dont know if I should pull into Application Orchestration layer or keep it as part of DAL...

There are other technologies that I ignored to show in the blueprint, mainly BizTalk Server which could very well complement or replace WCF/WF capabilities...

Appreciate any feedback, questions, bashing, etc.,

Hope this helps community as well...

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:14 PM

Answers

• Thanks.

Working on the source code as much as I have documented.  The reference architecture when published will be under Framework 3.5.  It is going to take some time before I complete the source code for publishing.

Feedback and response I get from the community will keep to motivated to complete this, since I get 2 hours on a good  day after dinner to work on this effort Smile

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:43 PM

All replies

• I like it.

Yeah I did wonder which layer I'd put the entities I guess that maybe they should be side-by-side 'cause the diagram does imply that the presentaion services can't see a business entity...perhaps that's what you intended? Also I'm not sure where I'd place LINQ, it's a tricky one.

re: Biztalk, no I think you're right to talk about the type of mechanism rather than a specific implementation. Afterall you don't list SQL Server/Oracle so why mention Biztalk? Plus I'm still smarting from the terrible initial implementation of Biztalk!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:17 AM
  •  

Good point.  In back of my mind I had it but didnt know how to express... 

Entity and LINQ would spill across all the layers...  After all, they are the message from each layer...   Will update the diagram later tonight...

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Really good picture!

I think it would be nice if you provide also your point of view (description) of each layer presented in the diagram.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Antonio, I am working on it.  Hopefully this weekend I should be able to complete and post it on my website...  I first had to get the picture from my mind before got distracted... Smile

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Updated the website with a word document (work-in-progress) to supplement the architecture blueprint.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:27 AM
  • WOW!!! Nice job!!! Congratulations! Are you planning to publish source codes? Is the old version (before this 3.5 update) available anywhere on Internet?

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Thanks.

Working on the source code as much as I have documented.  The reference architecture when published will be under Framework 3.5.  It is going to take some time before I complete the source code for publishing.

Feedback and response I get from the community will keep to motivated to complete this, since I get 2 hours on a good  day after dinner to work on this effort Smile

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Okay, I have almost completed the documentation.  Going on a business trip for a week.  Hope to work on a code when I return back on April 15th...  Keep the comments coming till then.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:20 AM