none
Debug a Deployed Application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I released an application with the PDB file thinking that if it crashed this would give me some useful information but unfortunately it's only given me this:

EventType clr20r3,
    P1 chatterbox.exe,
    P2 1.0.0.0,
    P3 48c54257,
    P4 chatterbox,
    P5 1.0.0.0,
    P6 48c54257,
    P7 51,
    P8 22,
    P9 system.invalidcastexception,
    P10 NIL.

Could someone please tell me what this means or explain how to translate that to line numbers and a more descriptive error?

Thank you
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:24 PM

Answers

• Your assumption that a .pdb file would give you a better crash diagnostic was incorrect.  Those are symbol files for a debugger.  Running your app with a debugger attached while it crashes would certainly help you to diagnose the InvalidCast exception a whole lot more than the Watson diagnostic you found back in the event log.  Post to the VS debugger forum to learn more about minidumps.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Luke_UK Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:59 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 11:16 PM

All replies

• If anyone has any suggestions or advice it will be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Anyone at all.. would be very helpful and very much appreciated.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Your assumption that a .pdb file would give you a better crash diagnostic was incorrect.  Those are symbol files for a debugger.  Running your app with a debugger attached while it crashes would certainly help you to diagnose the InvalidCast exception a whole lot more than the Watson diagnostic you found back in the event log.  Post to the VS debugger forum to learn more about minidumps.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Luke_UK Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:59 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 11:16 PM
  • Thank you, nobugz, I apologise for posting in the wrong forum. There's just so many to choose from! I have now put it in the correct one.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:59 AM