AppFabric Won't Install In .NET 4 RTM

Question

• When I go to install AppFabric Beta 2 on the .NET 4 RTM, it says that it requires .NET 4.0 RC.  Is there a workaround for this?  It should run just fine on the RTM.  
    Monday, April 12, 2010 8:52 PM

Answers

• Ok guys, here's an update.  AppFabric Caching Beta 2 does in fact run fine on RTM, just like I surmised.  The problem is, if you haven't installed it before installing the RTM, you're basically screwed.  Steps to get this all working;

1. Install .NET 4 RC Framework (only the framework is needed!)
    2. Install AppFabric Caching
    3. Remove .NET 4 RC Framework
    4. Install .NET 4 RTM and/or Visual Studio 2010
    5. Modify C:\Windows\System32\AppFabric\DistributedCacheService.exe.config:  Replace <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30128" /> with <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319" />

This is all that you need to do.  It's ridiculous that A. Microsoft can't provide the guidance to do this, and B. Microsoft can't ship a modified installer to fix the dependency check.  I know that a bunch of QA needs to be performed, but seriously, this is beta quality and we would understand if there was less QA with this. Also, MS: PLEASE change the installer to an MSI.  This way if you put in stupid dependencies I can edit the MSI to skip the checks.

• Marked as answer by RyanHoff Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:05 PM

All replies

• Beta2 works only with RC release of .Net 4/VSTS 2010. You'll need to wait for the upcoming RC release which will work with .Net4 RTM.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Rahul Kaura [MSFT] Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RyanHoff Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:54 PM
  • When is this coming?  We are early adopters of .NET 4 (since B1) and Velocity - this sort of thing is always happening to us, and frankly this is unacceptable.  We are the ones using these new technologies and flushing them out for Microsoft, and yet Microsoft can't release things in a way that is convenient for their quickest adopters.

Is there a TAP or Beta program that you can get me in that would give us access to this version?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:09 PM
  • i fully agree with RyanHoff. this is unacceptable and microsoft should coordinate internally better. additionally the useless statements that is is changed in the upcommeing release somewhen in the future shouldnt be made - there should be a release date announced.

so please let the community know when to expect the RC as there are quite some people using it but want to upgrade to .net 4 final and studio 2010 final.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:51 PM
  • I fully agree with RyanHoff too. I'm demostrating AppFabric Caching (since Velocity CTP2), so I cant upgrade to fx 4.0 RTM nor VS2010 RTM otherwise demos won't work. Anyway I'll made an attempt to unistall .net FX 4.0 RC and then install the RTM to see if AppFabric still works...

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:15 PM
  • My personal commentary:

1)      At minimum, there should have been a forum/blog post that coincided with the .NET RTM release indicating the incompatibility.

2)      If the upcoming AppFabric RC is not considered to be “imminent”, I feel that a “beta 2 refresh” that was compatible with the .NET RTM would have been prudent.

• Proposed as answer by Andrea Colaci Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:54 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Ok guys, here's an update.  AppFabric Caching Beta 2 does in fact run fine on RTM, just like I surmised.  The problem is, if you haven't installed it before installing the RTM, you're basically screwed.  Steps to get this all working;

1. Install .NET 4 RC Framework (only the framework is needed!)
    2. Install AppFabric Caching
    3. Remove .NET 4 RC Framework
    4. Install .NET 4 RTM and/or Visual Studio 2010
    5. Modify C:\Windows\System32\AppFabric\DistributedCacheService.exe.config:  Replace <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30128" /> with <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319" />

This is all that you need to do.  It's ridiculous that A. Microsoft can't provide the guidance to do this, and B. Microsoft can't ship a modified installer to fix the dependency check.  I know that a bunch of QA needs to be performed, but seriously, this is beta quality and we would understand if there was less QA with this. Also, MS: PLEASE change the installer to an MSI.  This way if you put in stupid dependencies I can edit the MSI to skip the checks.

• Marked as answer by RyanHoff Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:05 PM
  • any update on when the appfabric RC will be available which installs with .NET 4.0 RTM?
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:37 AM
  • The RTW bits are scheduled be out in the first half of CY 2010 . Hence RC bits will be out even before that . We have the "Beta2 Refresh" coming out very shortly .
    Friday, April 23, 2010 6:24 AM