Blank pages on deployed website RRS feed

• Question

• User2142044410 posted

I've set up the wdp on my website and it works fine on my local pc (XP) - however when I deploy it to my server (W2KSP4) all I get is blank pages. I don't get any errors or failures of any sort (that i can see) just the following:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>

Interestingly I can try and navigate to a non-existent page ie .mymadeuppage.aspx and it returns th blank page also.

Any ideas?

TIA

swin

Friday, October 5, 2007 12:19 PM

Answers

• User-2017008401 posted

Hi swin,

From your description, I understand that your website project works well on the development machine. However, after you deploy this project to the Server. The deployed project contains blank aspx page. If I have any misunderstanding, please let me know.

For there is no error message during the deployment, I recommend you trying to redeploy the project to the Server. Generally it should have the following steps for deploying with Web Deployment Project:

1. Adding a VS 2005 Web Deployment Project
        2. Setting Build and Deployment Options
        3. Building the Web Deployment Project
        4. Adding Web Setup Project

For more detailed steps, please refer to the following link:

VS 2005 Web Deployment Projects
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx

In addition, since the project works well on your machine, we can simply copy the contents to the server and configure Virtual Directory for it as an alternative deployment. For example:

1. Use command: xcopy source destination
        2. Set virtual directory for the copied folder.

How to deploy an ASP.NET Web application using Xcopy deployment
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326355/en-us

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 11:29 PM

All replies

• User1211318426 posted

Is your IIS setup correctly?  Make sure you choose .net 2.0 extensions.

Friday, October 5, 2007 8:52 PM
  • User-2017008401 posted

Hi swin,

From your description, I understand that your website project works well on the development machine. However, after you deploy this project to the Server. The deployed project contains blank aspx page. If I have any misunderstanding, please let me know.

For there is no error message during the deployment, I recommend you trying to redeploy the project to the Server. Generally it should have the following steps for deploying with Web Deployment Project:

1. Adding a VS 2005 Web Deployment Project
        2. Setting Build and Deployment Options
        3. Building the Web Deployment Project
        4. Adding Web Setup Project

For more detailed steps, please refer to the following link:

VS 2005 Web Deployment Projects
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx

In addition, since the project works well on your machine, we can simply copy the contents to the server and configure Virtual Directory for it as an alternative deployment. For example:

1. Use command: xcopy source destination
        2. Set virtual directory for the copied folder.

How to deploy an ASP.NET Web application using Xcopy deployment
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326355/en-us

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 11:29 PM
  • User-2017008401 posted

Interestingly I can try and navigate to a non-existent page ie .mymadeuppage.aspx and it returns th blank page also.

Hi swin,

For this issue, please check if you have installed any third-party ISAPI filter in IIS. You can check it by IIS manager:

1. Open IIS manager: Start | Administrative Tools | Internet Information Services.
    2. Right click the Default Web Site, and then select “Properties”.
    3. Locate to ISAPI Filters tab.

Monday, October 8, 2007 1:19 AM
  • User2142044410 posted

My IIS setup looks fine.  Infact if I build locally using the Publish option in VS and then xcopy to the server (without touching the IIS settings) then it works fine.  However if I build using WDP locally and then xcopy to the server I get the blank pages.

Thanks for your help so far.

swin

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:31 AM
  • User2142044410 posted

I eventually found the answer - when the project was being built via the wdproj file it was failing to include a dll that was required by on eof the projects in the solution. I added a reference to the dll on the website and it now works fine.

However! I'm trying to run the wdproj file as part of my build process. If I hard code the OutputPath to be "d:\whatever\release" for the release config then the build works fine. But if I try and run the msbuild from the command line and specify the parameters as "/p:configuration=release;OutputPath="d:\whatever\release" it fails with the following message

ASPNETCOMPILER : error ASPRUNTIME: The target directory is not empty, and does not appear to contain a previously compiled application. Please delete it manually, or choose a different target.

I had previously deleted the Output directory and so it does not exist when I ran the command.  I need to be able to run this from the command line and anotehr msbuild file so I need to be able to specify where the website gets published to.

Any ideas

Thanks

swin

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:26 AM