White screen in LightSwitch application after save of data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have built a new LightSwitch application that needs to save back in the DB some average volume of data.

The validation/saving and loading process of these tables/screens was taking some considerable amount of time but eventually, everything was executed successfully.

A while ago, I added two new tables/editable grid screens and tried to upload some data there. When I try to deploy more than 30-40 records from an excel sheet (using an excel importer add on), the application crashes/shows a white screen just right after all the records are saved back in the DB table. When I restart and try to reload them, a get the "wait" icon for a couple of seconds, and then again the white screen. Everything comes back to normal, only if I truncate the DB tables. 

Please note that this behavior happens to these new screens, which have no special characteristics compared to the existing ones that do not crash. Also, I communicated this problem with our DBAs and nothing is wrong on their side (Oracle server side). The query is send to the Oracle server with no problems.

Have anyone of you experienced the same problem in the past? Since I can't debug that layer (it's invisible to me what happens in the time of the white screen), do you have any ideas on how I should proceed? 

Thanks a lot in advance!

Alexandros

Friday, February 14, 2014 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Alexandros

According to your description above, I think some Stack Trace is necessary for us to troubleshoot this issue, you could follow the steps in the link below to get Stack Trace in LightSwitch application.

# How to Get a Stack Trace in LightSwitch

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mthalman/archive/2013/08/16/how-to-get-a-stack-trace-in-lightswitch.aspx

Best regards

Angie Xu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, February 24, 2014 1:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alexandros P Monday, February 24, 2014 5:05 PM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Hello Angie,

Thanks for your answer and my apologies for the late reply (I was too busy last week). 

I followed the steps in your attached guide and the last 2 exceptions I get before the application freezes (white screen) are the following: 

LightSwitch exception 1

After those two, the "wait" icon stops to rotate and the white screen appears. I have to tell you though that these 2 exception windows, appear even during the loading of screens that do not crash.

What is strange is that after 3 or 4 attempts, suddenly the screen appeared, with the 2nd exception still in scope. I was able to browse through the screen even if I didn't press the "break" or "continue" (as you know, usually the app side "locks" until you chose one of the two options).

Do you have any ideas of what is happening? Can you please advice furthermore? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Alexandros

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Hi Alexandros

Thanks for your feedback.

According to the error message above, this is communication problem.

According to the description above, it seems that this issue occurred occasionally, Clean and rebuilding your current Project see if that makes any difference at all. 

In addition, I'm afraid that this is not the root of this issue, you could follow the diagnose method methioned above, and try looking into a few more advanced alternatives.

Best regards

Angie Xu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Hello Angie,

Thanks again. I remind you that I get this communication exception, even during the "launching" of the screens that have no loading problem. 

Unfortunately I have tried to clean and rebuild the project but this doesn't solve the issue. There is probably something wrong between the point where the app makes the query to the Oracle Server and back. How can I make a diagnosis in that point?

You mentioned above that I could follow the diagnose method (do you mean the link? I tried what was described there) and looking into more advanced alternatives. What would those be? Can you be more descriptive? Thanks!

Regards,

Alexandros

P.S.: Update: 

I found out that the call stack error I get, after the freeze, is:

System.dll!System.Net.SafeCloseSocket.InnerSafeCloseSocket.Accept(System.Net.SafeCloseSocket socketHandle, byte[] socketAddress, ref int socketAddressSize) + 0x13 bytes

• Edited by Alexandros P Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:39 AM Update
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:26 AM