none
Visual Studio 2005 freezes when building BizTalk 2006 R2 projects, devenv.exe @ 99% CPU util

Question

• I am working with a brand new VPC image that has BizTalk 2006 R2 and I am running into a issue where Visual Studio keeps freezing when I build a BizTalk project.  This is the second day we have used this image on my team.  The first day we did not encounter any issues.  Today we ran into a issue where Visual Studio just freezes and becomes unresponsive when building any solutions or projects that contain BizTalk project templates.  The VS process (devenv.exe) reaches 99% of CPU utilization and allocates about 114 MB of memory in the task manager on the VPC.  When it becomes unresponsive for over 5-10 mins, we are forced to kill devenv.exe from the task manager.

Here are all the things I have tried so far (in order) and have been unsuccessful:

• Clean solution option from the VS menu and rebuild.
    • Deleted all bin and obj directories from the solution and tried closing VS, reopening VS, and rebuilding the solution
    • Tried creating and building a simple BizTalk project with one schema
    • Tried building the HelloWorld project from the BizTalk SDK
    • Visual Studio 2005 Repair from Add/Remove Programs
    • BizTalk Server 2006 Repair from Add/Remove Programs

In order to eliminate any issues related to my solution, I am currently only testing the HelloWorld project located in the BizTalk SDK directory (C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\SDK\Samples\Orchestrations\HelloWorld).  When building this project it immediately freezes as described above.  By the way, any non-BizTalk project templates compile and run fine.  I have tested a simple C# Console Application which works fine.

Complete hardware and software details are below.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Host Hardware

• Dell Optiplex 745
    • Intel Core 2 Duo 670 2.66GHZ
    • 3069 MB
    • 148 GB HD (28 GB free)

Host Software

• Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Virtual PC 2007

VPC Hardware

• 1200 MB Allocated
    • 20 GB Fixed-size VHD ( 5 GB free)

VPC Software

• Windows Server 2003 Ent. Ed. SP2
    • SQL Server 2005 SP2
    • Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite w/SP1 (see complete details below)
    • BizTalk Server 2006 R2 Developer Edition
    • Microsoft Office 2007 (Excel, InfoPath, Word)
    • WSS 2.0 SP2
    • WSS 3.0 (Installed before WSS 2.0 for side by side hosting)

-------------------------------------------------------

From Visual Studio -> Help -> About

-------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
    Version 8.0.50727.762  (SP.050727-7600)
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 2.0.50727

Installed Edition: Enterprise

Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
    Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
    Version 8.0.50727.762

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Architects
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Architects

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for DB Professionals  
    Microsoft Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals Version 2.0.50727.251

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Developers  
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Testers  
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Testers

Visual Studio 2005 Team Explorer 
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Explorer
    Version 8.0.50727.762

Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006 R2

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)  
    This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

SQL Server Analysis Services  
    Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services Designer
    Version 9.00.3042.00

SQL Server Integration Services  
    Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Designer
    Version 9.00.3042.00

SQL Server Reporting Services  
    Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers
    Version 9.00.3042.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, October 04, 2007 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Monish,

This issue was resolved for me. I had the "Output window" open while building and that caused the CPU utliz. to go to 99..and the devenv memory util would continually increase; so would memory for sqlserver.exe

Also the simplest of orchestrations wouldnt finish building or deploying. I let it run for close to 30 mims max..and lost patience.

Closing the window did the trick for me.

Hema

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Hey,

No response from anyone on this issue and I did not figure out the problem either.  I ended up rebuilding another BizTalk image from our base image.  Our developer has been using this new image for about a week now and he has not encountered the same issues.

Sorry.

Monish

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you find a solution to your problem?

I am on BizTalk 2006..and was building/deploying fine.

All of a sudden the same symptoms started and i have not been able to build

Tried a lot of options with no luck

Hema

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Hey,

No response from anyone on this issue and I did not figure out the problem either.  I ended up rebuilding another BizTalk image from our base image.  Our developer has been using this new image for about a week now and he has not encountered the same issues.

Sorry.

Monish

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:02 PM
  • Hi Monish,

This issue was resolved for me. I had the "Output window" open while building and that caused the CPU utliz. to go to 99..and the devenv memory util would continually increase; so would memory for sqlserver.exe

Also the simplest of orchestrations wouldnt finish building or deploying. I let it run for close to 30 mims max..and lost patience.

Closing the window did the trick for me.

Hema

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:38 PM
  • I just ran into this issue again with another simple BizTalk project.  After closing the output window, my project compiled fine and VS did not freeze.  I am glad to find a workaround but the solution is ridiculous!

Friday, February 08, 2008 6:55 PM
  • THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:00 PM
  •  hemabiz wrote:
    I had the "Output window" open while building and that caused the CPU utliz. to go to 99..and the devenv memory util would continually increase; so would memory for sqlserver.exe

I can confirm this method finally allowed me to compile the BizTalk projects.

Unfortunately, the KB913432 hotfix that might have fixed this problems turns out not to be the case. It would still seize the CPU if the Output window is open.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;913432

Thanks

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:22 AM
  • THANK YOU! I was running into this same issue.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Reinstall Internet Explorer.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Closing output windlow not solving the problem.Anythoughts:)
    • Proposed as answer by Zsanett Monday, March 22, 2010 6:29 AM
    Monday, February 08, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Thanks for the hint! I am relatively new to Biztalk and struggled with the same issue "all of a sudden" on the same virtual server where I was able to deploy all my projects without a problem before in development mode. I did realize that I have changed a few things since I last sucessfully deployed: I have renamed my physical send and receive ports to look nicer... The odd thing about it that my application continued to function as expected but when I tried to re-deploy VS 2005 would just hang there for 20+ minutes.

I have tried the magical "close the output window" solution, but that did not work at first even after restarting SQL SERVER etc. At least it did not work all by itself.

What solved the problem for me were a combination of things - I did several combinations prior to that as well until success:

1. After a clean slate (restart of services), I did close my Output, and all other (Errors etc.) window before compiling.

2. I had my Biztalk Administration Console closed and did not connect/expand the BizTalk Explorer tree.

3. I also changed around my Project settings to Deployment: made sure my reference projects are all good, references path is set up in the Project property pages (it was not all there in my case but it still worked before, how odd...). I also took out the Assembly Key name from the Assembly part and only left the Key File reference unchanged. Finally in the Deployment section I changed the BizTalk server Group Server Name from its named server to LOCAL just in case.

Rebuild and worked (after 4 hours of sweat and desperate search on the web, all of which I found this the most useful, so good luck trying to find something elese...)

I still think this behaviour is caused by the overflow of the output window all has to do with the number of output warnings as indicated in which case it also helps to have your BizTalk Explorer closed. Also, as you may suspect, if the number of warnings overflow all of a sudden, then something must be wrong, time to re-examine the project setup. 

One day I will do a true step by step to determine the true root cause and solution, but it was not just the output window by itself...

• Proposed as answer by Zsanett Monday, March 22, 2010 6:54 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:53 AM
  • I had the same problem. I saw a post on a similar problem for VS 2008.  A microsoft responder suggested logging in another user. I did and no more problem. It was the first time the new user has used VS2005 - so the setup for first use occurred. No more problem. Output window was displayed.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 11:36 PM