Binding LargeSets of data to gridview is causing a problem

Question

• Hi,

When I was trying to bind more than 600 items to the gridview which has grouping,the application was crashing.but when i removed grouping style in xaml and to tried to bind same number of elements to gridview it is working fine.....can anybody tell me answer i want grouping for gridview

• Edited by sandbha Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:31 PM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:30 PM

Answers

• Generally speaking and as a best practice, you should limit the number of items that you are trying to show in a grouped grid view. If you have such a large number of items, lets say 6 groups of 100, you can probably limit the number to show/ load only a few items per group and then have a functionality such as "Show More" or "Next/Previous" to load the next/previous items in the list. That way you will not run into these types of issues.

When trying to group a large data set, you will eventually run into an error 0x80070718 that indicates "Not enough quote is available to process this command".

Thanks,

Prashant.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by sandbha Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, I will involve more experts to investigate it.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Generally speaking and as a best practice, you should limit the number of items that you are trying to show in a grouped grid view. If you have such a large number of items, lets say 6 groups of 100, you can probably limit the number to show/ load only a few items per group and then have a functionality such as "Show More" or "Next/Previous" to load the next/previous items in the list. That way you will not run into these types of issues.

When trying to group a large data set, you will eventually run into an error 0x80070718 that indicates "Not enough quote is available to process this command".

Thanks,

Prashant.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by sandbha Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:47 PM
  • Hi Jesse,

When I was trying to bind more than 600 items to the gridview which has grouping,the application was crashing.but when i removed grouping style in xaml and to tried to bind same number of elements to gridview it is working fine.....can anybody tell me answer i want grouping for gridview

I am waiting for the reply....Please reply soon.....

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I was running into this problem in our app as well.  After trying a number of possible solutions, I determined that the "show more" or "next/previous" option gave an unsatisfactory user experience.  I finally came upon a solution that automatically broke up groups with more than x items into smaller groups for display, and included the index in the group name, such as "sites (1-100)", "sites (101-200)" and so on.  I have now tested this successfully on both desktop PC and Surface RT with 10,000 items in a single group.  It's definitely a compromise.

• Edited by Anatoly_LP Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:23 PM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. But in my case i am not doing any grouping in the gridview. When i am binding more than 700 items my app crashed. I am using the the ItemTemplate to binding. Is there any way to bind the large amount of data in GridView?

Thanks by Manivel

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:50 AM
  • HI,

Is this issue got solved in windows 8.1 / VS 2013 preview?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:49 AM