none
How to share a Macro Enabled Excel file online? RRS feed

• Question

• I developed a Macro Enabled Excel file with Buttons so a user can enter data, click the button, and it merges data they entered into a readable sentence within that file, combining multiple lines they enter, and creating multiple sentences.

How and where can I upload it, "sample.xlsm" , so the buttons and macros will still work for them?

I tried Google Docs, but it looses the Macro/Button ability.

Thanks

Monday, October 5, 2015 4:33 PM

Answers

• "Can I ask a semi-related question while this type of program is on your mind? Its about why the program is now not running on the computer I wrote it on, but does on a different computer at another location. I cant understand why I cant even get it to Step Into the program without the error code?"

Your best bet is to rephrase this question, provide more specifics (including any debugging you've done to help use understand what you mean by 'not running'), and post it as a stand-alone question. It's bad form to mix questions in a forum because it's hard to tease out useful information when searching for past posts.

• Marked as answer by BrainStain00 Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi BrainStain00,

>> How and where can I upload it, "sample.xlsm", so the buttons and macros will still work for them?

What do you mean with this? If you want macro and buttons work online, it is impossible. I am afraid there is no tool to support it. If you want to upload the file, and then others could download it, work it with macros and buttons at client, I suggest you use OneDrive to share this excel file, and then share the link to others.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:36 AM
  • Edward,

Thanks for the support.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention this is mainly for person(s) that cant run the file I created because they have a Mac.

If you know a way they can use this MS excel file with VBA and Macro Enabled buttons to work on their machine, please let me know.

Ive heard of possibly using JAVA, but I'd like something more out of the can.

Thanks Edward.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:01 AM
  • Hi BrainStain00,

>> I'm sorry, I forgot to mention this is mainly for person(s) that cant run the file I created because they have a Mac

As my research, VBA and macro seem to be supported in Mac. But, this forum is used for windows client, if you have any issues about excel for mac, I suggest you go to the forum below for help.

Reference: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macexcel?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=threads&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&tm=1436070802336

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 8:30 AM
  • Thanks Edward,

I think you helped me with your first answer, and I got thrown off by something else said.

Even tho this was to help a person who had a Mac (and Im not trying to convert it to a Mac version),

my question really was where can I upload my small Excel program so that anyone (whether they own a mac or win) can run this small excel program and benefit from it. Im assuming where ever I upload it, it would be on a tool that recognized Excel and would run, and it wouldnt matter if the person only had a Mac, because they wouldnt be running it on their computer, but on the online Excel, which would probably be a Windows software version.

But, since you said you didnt think anywhere would support Macros online, then that probably answers my question. I guess its a 'Safety' feature?

Thanks for the input. Maybe I need to mention to my class that they must have access to Windows before they start, good point, or either run it for them and they give me the data to input for the program.

Thanks Edward.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 1:20 PM
  • I guess its a 'Safety' feature?

More likely a 'licensing issue'. Excel (Win or Mac) are products MS expects you to buy so you gain access to the labor of the developers. If it was possible to share an Excel file, with macros' to anyone for free...that would kind of indicate a fully functional free version of Excel was available.

It's been a while since I checked but you might look into some open source options. OpenOffice used to have relatively good handling for VBA; no clue if OO is still relevant or if there are other/better choices. Depending on what you're trying to do, you might even consider just switching to open source.

I get the impression from your last message that you may be an instructor so what ARE you trying to teach? What does this macro based file help students understand? Perhaps there is another way to address the need.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:13 PM
  • Good point Dogubob, I hadn't thought of the Licensing issue.

This initial excel file was intended to help one of my 'online' students access an Excel (win) file that was just a 'Bonus' tool, and part of a class that teaches how to discover your natural talents. (I know, odd to use excel for that)

The student only had a Mac, so I was trying to address an issue for any other student that only had a Mac, and couldnt use the Bonus tool.

The Bonus tool was only that, a Bonus, not needed for the class, but helped catch every possible combination of words they came up with to form a sentence, plus the results were instant, they didnt have to manually find and write all the combinations, and kind of a 'concatenate' method too.

I had them make columns (about 5) to put words that fit categories, then fill those columns with matching terms. Maybe the columns would be 10 rows deep, however many terms they might come up with, but really unlimited the way I wrote the program.

Then, with a Macro and button as part of the program, they could click on the 'combine' button, and this Excel file would find every possible combination from the rows and columns, and form logical sentences from all that, to help describe themselves, using their own input, in ways they may have never thought of before.

It was really just a way of helping someone find ways to 'put into words' what they may have already known about themselves, but never knew how to 'describe', when expressing it on a job interview, or even looking for ways to advance their own interests, and finding job matches that matched their skills and abilities.

So it wasnt teaching them VBA, or excel, or macros, like my other course, but just something to help them speed things up and not miss any combination that one probably would do when doing it manually.

I dont know, if the button that executes the VBA is bypassed, could a Mac just access the program another way just to run the code? maybe thats a method to make this work on a Mac?

I was told that maybe Java might be able to either compile, merge, or make this available. I dont know how that would work, maybe just re-writing the program in Java, but I didnt have the time if that was the fix, and I didnt know any other sources to let someone use this tool just because they had a Mac.

I know that was kinda long-winded, but maybe that helped address my 'rock and a hard place' situation.

Thanks Dogubob.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Quite an interesting use for Excel! Kudos for creativity.

So you've run smack into 'the platform issue' and it's worse than you describe. Your student is running a Mac but they could be using any flavor of Linux, Mac, or Windows as well as different versions of Excel. You can't make any assumption that a file in format X will work for anyone unless you mandate specific computer/OS/software versions.

The only way to really get around the issue is to write code that runs on a server you have access to and have the student/user submit the request to your software. This could be done via a web page running pretty much any language at the server.

A more practical solution if this is a low frequency problem might be to just specify 'Windows Excel version(s) A/B/C and if you don't have it, send me your list as a simple Notepad text document and I'll run it for you'.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Dogubob,

Thank you very much for the support and help offer.

I have some disappointing news tho.

Yesterday I contacted the student and told them since they were within the 30 days grace period that if they wanted to get their money back for the class, they had my blessing, but that the outcome of the class didnt depend on whether they had access to the tool or not. Its just that the tool would find every possible combination and form all the possible sentences that a human couldnt, plus do it in seconds, not days.

I felt sorry for the student that they might have took the class thinking the tool was the only way to discover their Natural talents or gifts, when in reality, it just found more ways to describe them, and they could have done it manually to find many ways of describing them.

But, I guess the goal is keep happy campers, and the teacher keeps good face.

The student already had requested a refund, even after I told her that the tool was optional. I had just wanted to prevent disappointments in the future. I went back to the class requirements and Emphasized the tool uses Windows based Microsoft to help catch these things up front.

Dogubob, thanks for the offer, and I understand better that just because I put a working file online and accessible to only a few, doesnt mean the file can be run, without a server/working version of MS Excel to run it, DUH!!

So I understand the Licensing issue, man, you'd think I didn't make it past 3rd grade, lol.

Thanks for the input, legal lesson, and offer sir.

Can I ask a semi-related question while this type of program is on your mind? Its about why the program is now not running on the computer I wrote it on, but does on a different computer at another location. I cant understand why I cant even get it to Step Into the program without the error code?

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:02 PM
  • "Can I ask a semi-related question while this type of program is on your mind? Its about why the program is now not running on the computer I wrote it on, but does on a different computer at another location. I cant understand why I cant even get it to Step Into the program without the error code?"

Your best bet is to rephrase this question, provide more specifics (including any debugging you've done to help use understand what you mean by 'not running'), and post it as a stand-alone question. It's bad form to mix questions in a forum because it's hard to tease out useful information when searching for past posts.

• Marked as answer by BrainStain00 Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Will do, thanks.

Will put it up now.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:12 PM