Visual Studio Hangs When an Element is Renamed

Question

• When occasionally renaming items in Visual Studio, I find that a dialog with the title bar "Progress" and a progress bar telling me that it is finding and changing references appears and hangs. Terminating XDesProc.exe gets rid of the window (so it's a XAML editor problem and not a VS one), but makes VS2010 freeze. Any help?
    • Edited by JWebber2 Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:51 AM
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:50 AM

All replies

• Thanks for reporting this issue. Can you please provide more details on this issue? Are you renaming elements in XAML or project items in the solution? Also, is this a managed or native [C++] project?

-Navit Saxena

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Navit,

This problem occurs in my C# project, and I am renaming XAML elements via the text box at the top of the Properties pane; I don't often come across the error, but  when I do, there is no recovery method available. I can always rename elements in XAML without issue. Next time I come across the error, I will take down more details.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:24 AM
  • Hello JWebber2,

What about your issue now? Do you still get VS crash when working with XAML files?

In addition, please take a look at this case on the Microsoft Connect site to see if it helps you:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/556808/vs2010-crashes-when-opening-xaml-file

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:23 AM