Has Microsoft any plans to provide the WinSock API for Windows Store Apps?

Question

• This is a follow-up question to my question entitled "How share C++ socket code across Windows Platforms".

Since WinSock is supported on all other versions of Windows (Win3.1 thru Win8 desktop, and Windows Phone 8) it would be greatly welcomed by all developers if it were made available for Windows Store Apps.

Q1) Could a Microsoft representative please advise if Microsoft have any current plans to provide the WinSock API for Windows Store Apps (for example the next WindowsRT release)?

Q2) Similarly, to put developers out of their misery, if the answer to Q1 is no, could a Microsoft representative confirm that the WinSock API will not be made available for Windows Store Apps?

Answers to these two questions would be welcome to aid in developers in their future 'porting plans' for Windows/Android/iOS Apps to Windows Store Apps.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

• Sorry Keith, but we cannot comment on future plans one way or the other.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:43 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Sorry Keith, but we cannot comment on future plans one way or the other.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:43 PM
    Owner
  • Rob,

Thanks for your response.

While that was the reply I half expected, I thought there would be an 'outside chance' of getting  the actual real answer to these questions.

Since the answer would greatly aid developers in planning future Windows Store resource planning, and therefore would also benefit Microsoft as a direct result.

I currently will not commit resources to 'learning and maintaining' a new Comms API for one platform, when all other Operating System platforms (including Windows) have standardised on the BSD/WinSock API (which are typically used asynchronously anyway!).

Surely this knowledge is not classified as a 'trade secret', and I know 'project features and deadlines do change', however I do not think in this instance a 'guarded answer' would be detrimental to anyone. What business or individual could be harmed by a 'guarded statement of intent, or otherwise'.

Thanks again, Keith.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Give the MSFT support folks here a break. You know they can't comment on future plans, especially ones that aren't public.

However, I do agree that cutting out chunks of the existing Win32 API for C++ programmers was a huge mistake. What was the point of porting the Windows core to WinPhone8 and ARM tablets (which must have been a huge undertaking) if you weren't going to allow access to the existing core from C++? It makes no sense to me. Just add a scalable UI API to Win32 (to replace USER and GDI) and a new, Desktop-friendly Shell and be done with it. Put all the Async WinRT stuff in a C# .NET middleware layer so it stays out of the way of C++ programmers.

Edit: GDI is somehow involved in a WP8 XAML+Direct3D11 app. When I run the profiler on my WP8 app I see a significant amount of time spent in GDI32.DLL.

• Edited by henador Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:27 AM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:23 AM