Blend 3 + No Designer for controls RRS feed

• Question

• when creating a control in either visual studio 2008 or blend 3, I am not able to see the designer in Blend 3, it appears that it is only happing with the controls and not the applications. However I am able to see the controls on the applications. Why cant I see the controls in the designer in Blend 3?

Thanks,
    Brandon

Monday, October 19, 2009 1:46 AM

Answers

• Hey ZuechB,
    I had a simular issue when the developer I was working with didn't upgrade his Visual Studio to SP1. You should be able to salvage the work you did by editing the .csproj files in notepad though. If you are using source control just remember to make sure your .csproj files are not read only.

Open the file in notepad and find the line that says: <WarningLevel>4</WarningLevel>

Paste this on the line right after that: <ProjectTypeGuids>{60dc8134-eba5-43b8-bcc9-bb4bc16c2548};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>

That should convert your .csproj files to work with Blend. I have done this with many projects because for some reason the developer I am working with still hasn't upgraded to VS2008 SP1 even though I told him to a while ago. Just make sure the project files are closed in both Blend and Visual Studio before you hand edit the .csproj file.

Hope this helps,
    Brian 
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Rod Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZuechB Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hey Brandon,
                         This might be useful for you, please take a look http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/33030347-c99a-4f41-8be7-089c92e4ab2d.

Also, can you please tell us what type of project is this? WPF / Silverlight and language (VB / C#)?

Thanks,
    Navit Saxena
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:19 PM
  • I will try this tonight, The project I am working with is a WPF project. The source is completely new so I am not upgrading from a blend 2 project. Are there any blend 3 service packs I have missed I have Sp1 for visual studio 2008. I guess just other stuff to keep in mind. I will let you know how it goes thanks!
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:54 PM
  • I am not 100% sure on where to edit this. I was able to open the project and solution files in notepad and have yet to find a matching <ProjectTypeGuids> to place the GUID at. If anyone happens to understand this better than I do, it may solve the problem... in the meantime I am going to double check that I have installed all my service packs in case that was the problem the whole time.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Can you please be a little bit clearer on steps to reproduce your problem? Does the following scenario work:

a) Launch Blend 3
    b) Create a new Silverlight 3 application
    c) Draw a button from the Asset library - does this show up correctly?

If so, which control and what project type has issues?

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Well I figured it out...

It appears to be a problem within the project. I may have to recreate these projects files. I must have not had visual studio sp1 installed because after installing that and creating a new project in the same solution it works perfectly. However if I right click on any one of the existing projects within the solution it gives me double the icons of UserControl, Page, Resources.... and so on. I have a feeling it is having a problem with somthing within the project. I did notice the double Icon problem before installing Sp1, but if I can fix those files everything will be great! Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Hey ZuechB,
    I had a simular issue when the developer I was working with didn't upgrade his Visual Studio to SP1. You should be able to salvage the work you did by editing the .csproj files in notepad though. If you are using source control just remember to make sure your .csproj files are not read only.

Open the file in notepad and find the line that says: <WarningLevel>4</WarningLevel>

Paste this on the line right after that: <ProjectTypeGuids>{60dc8134-eba5-43b8-bcc9-bb4bc16c2548};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>

That should convert your .csproj files to work with Blend. I have done this with many projects because for some reason the developer I am working with still hasn't upgraded to VS2008 SP1 even though I told him to a while ago. Just make sure the project files are closed in both Blend and Visual Studio before you hand edit the .csproj file.

Hope this helps,
    Brian 
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Rod Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZuechB Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:30 PM