none
Share information from the Email to the browser (Email composed in Outlook) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am facing a peculiar scenario where in the Email composed in the Outlook (using a template for example Signature & Stationary), i am required to pass some information in the browser when the recipient click on the hyperlink.

The email will have a hyperlink upon the click of which i will require to pass some information from the email to the browser; for example, Name and Email address in the browser. One of the option is to encode the information in the URL - however not sure how intuitively/ user-friendly way i can get the URL configured by the user?

Is there a way I can get the content/word from email body to the opened browser link?

Note: The link can be opened by the recipient from desktop or a mobile device in a browser.

Appreciate some alternatives to further explore, besides the above.

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The simplest way is to embed all the required information into the URL string. You can use the HTMLBody property for customizing the message body. You just need to use the <a> tag where you can specify the URL assembled with params.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:22 PM
  • Hi MSDN_Geek,

there is no any other way to pass the information from outlook to Browser.

does that URL needs this information to be passed when you click on the link?

if yes, then you need to pass it on appropriate place with in URL.

if it's not in proper format then it will break the URL and link will not work.

if URL doesn't need to pass this information and then also you pass then also it will break it.

maybe it is possible that you want to pass the name and other data , so that when page load it will know which user try to access that page and load the data related to that user.

here , I am not sure what you want to do by passing the data.

if possible then post  your URL here.

we can try to look that and make some test with that.

and based on that try to provide some help.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Hello,

The purpose of passing data is to pre-populate the Name and Email address, in a text field on the browser window.

For customizing the Email body content, including the link - Do we have any alternative, For example, would using the Outlook Template or use the Outlook Form to compose my email serve the purpose?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Hi MSDN_Geek,

there is no any other way available.

only the way you can pass your data with in URL.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Thanks.

Lastly, for the pending query - Are there any options or interfaces in Outlook which i can use, to create Email so that user can intuitively fill in the details and then a Compose window pops up, which perhaps can help me customize the URL link in the body?

Thursday, February 2, 2017 11:21 AM
  • The simplest way is to automate Outlook. Read more about that in the following articles:

How to create and show a new Outlook mail item programmatically: C#, VB.NET

How To: Create a new Outlook message based on a template

How To: Fill TO,CC and BCC fields in Outlook programmatically

You can use the HTMLBody property for customizing the message body and dealing with hyperlinks. Also you may consider using the Word object model, see Chapter 17: Working with Item Bodies for more information.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:42 PM