none
Task Pane Add-in: Equivalent of Document.getFileAsync method for Excel 2013 Desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a Task Pane add-in for Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint desktop. I would like to have the ability to read the entire contents of the file and save it as a new document to a third-party application. Microsoft Word and PowerPoint support the Document.getFileAsync method to get the entire contents of a file; however, Excel desktop does not seem to support this functionality. Excel Online does, and I can actually use that method to save a new Excel file to my third-party app. Is there any way that I can get the contents of an Excel file using a desktop Add-in in order to create a new file?

I am using Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 to test.

Thank you.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hi rbyrnes,

Based on the document, this API only support form the PowerPoint and Word like table below:

Office for Windows desktop

Office Online
    (in browser)

Office for iPad

PowerPoint                    

Word                    

More detail about this object, you can refer to link here:

File.getSliceAsync method (JavaScript API for Office)

If you want this API to support Excel application, you can try to submit the feedback from link below:
    Customer Feedback for the Office Developer Platform

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:05 AM