IDE error on keypress in editor RRS feed

• Question

• My activity log for Visual Studio 2010 reports that there is trouble with an extension.  This may have started happening when I installed the Windows SDK -- not sure.

When I press a key in the editor, I get this (see picture below).  It happens once after startup, but then doesn't happen again until I restart visual studio and operation seems to be mostly normal except that some intellisense features seem to be non-operational as a result.

To fix this, I tried disabling add-ins using (Tools|Options|Environment -> Add-in/Macros Security, and Extension Manager), and restarting Visual Studio, but it still happens.  I also tried running visual studio with the /safemode command line switch, but it still happens.

How do I follow up on this error?  I don't know where to go next.  It doesn't seem to indicate what component or extension is causing the problem, except that it is from "Editor or Editor Extension"

Here is the relevant error in the activity log:

248 ERROR System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextReplaceEvents'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{CF9928D9-65AE-4319-A446-94ED5C45ECDE}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)). at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextReplaceEvents.OnReplace(ChangeInput[] pCI) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextBufferAdapter.OnTextBufferChangedHighPriority(Object sender, TextContentChangedEventArgs e) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args) Editor or Editor Extension 2012/10/11 16:55:49.778
    249 ERROR System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.IVsTextStreamEvents_Private'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{96FC7D44-BCDD-4F00-AE4D-07E26B2C0E52}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)). at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.IVsTextStreamEvents_Private.OnChangeStreamText(Int32 iPos, Int32 iOldLen, Int32 iNewLen, Int32 fLast) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextBufferAdapter.OnTextBufferChanged(Object sender, TextContentChangedEventArgs e) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args) Editor or Editor Extension 2012/10/11 16:55:49.782
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Wyck,

Do you mean you get the error message when you press a key in the VS editor the first time launch VS; while everything works fine when you launch the second time?

And to deal with your issue, please first try repairing your VS2010. If repair does not help, you can consider first uninstalling it and then installing it again. You can use the VS2010 Uninstall Utility to uninstall VS2010 completely.

Please update me the result once you finished it.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Wyck Monday, October 15, 2012 2:28 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Wyck,

Do you mean you get the error message when you press a key in the VS editor the first time launch VS; while everything works fine when you launch the second time?

And to deal with your issue, please first try repairing your VS2010. If repair does not help, you can consider first uninstalling it and then installing it again. You can use the VS2010 Uninstall Utility to uninstall VS2010 completely.

Please update me the result once you finished it.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Wyck Monday, October 15, 2012 2:28 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:34 AM
  • I mean that I launch visual studio and open a project.  Everything is useable (I can interact with the IDE in the normal way).  If I open my source file and type a character I get this error.  Then when I say OK, there are no further signs that anything bad happened except that intellisense isn't working properly.  It's business as usual until I close visual studio.  The next time I launch visual studio, then the first character I type in any editor again gives the error one more time.  Then I'm good again until the next time I launch VS.  And so on.  Does that make sense?

I will try the repair step you proposed on Monday.

Friday, October 12, 2012 11:49 AM
  • I have the same problem which occured about the same time! As suggested, doing a repair from the original install DVD has fixed the problem. However, I had Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and the hotfixes installed as well. Have these been kept during the repair - or do I need to re-install SP1?

John.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Repair worked.  

But I'm left feeling unsatisfied that I don't know what went wrong.  This feels to me like fixing the TV by banging on it with my fists.

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I have same error when I am starting VS 2012 but this is happening after VS 2012 Update I did today. I have also lost colouring of my html files.

Raj Singh

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:56 PM