Adding new page in DWT creates ActiveX error in IE 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I am working with a DWT template. The existing pages include some flash content at the top, and it all previews perfectly in both Firefox and IE. 

I want to add additional pages which I supposedly can do with this template. However...when I take a pre-existing page such as "index.htm" and save it as "wtf.htm" IE8 will block the flash content. Everything works fine when the page is viewed in Firefox .  Note that NOTHING has been edited in the original file other than renaming it.

So let me recap. An original page works fine when viewed fine in IE8. Rename the file, and pfffft. IE8 blocks the content.  I have replicated this phenonemon with every page that came with the template. I have to assume this somehow "breaks" a reference, but I don't know where to look.

I haven't published this so I'm currently working from my hard drive. How do I begin to trouble-shoot this?

Friday, January 28, 2011 12:06 AM

All replies

• That's entirely up to you.  Without seeing what you are seeing, including the content of the pages in situ, there's nothing we can do.   We haven't a clue what this template you refer to has in it. See the Before Posting post: publish the pages somewhere and give us a link.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 12:15 AM
  • You have to publish it to some location. How can anybody do anything but take endless wild stabs in the dark?

Put it on the web then post a link here. Use free space from your ISP or something. Just because you haven't published it doesn't mean we don't need to see it so that we can see what's going on.

Eschew obfuscation.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Sounds like you are previewing through the file system and IE security settings block javascript from running from the hard drive. Go to Site > Site Settings and under the preview tab switch it to use the preview server for all pages.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Friday, January 28, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Cheryl, that wouldn't explain why it only happens on renamed files, which is what the OP says is happening.

Friday, January 28, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Missed that bit Kathy. No clue then what is going on.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Friday, January 28, 2011 2:46 AM
  • Cheryl, that wouldn't explain why it only happens on renamed files, which is what the OP says is happening.

Also kinda begs the question why he is using a DWT at all if his replication mode is save-with-rename...

"...when I take a pre-existing page such as "index.htm" and save it as "wtf.htm" IE8 will block the flash content."

Kinda hard to do universal updates and maintain site consistency that way.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:19 AM