Which Masterpage or Masterpages is my site using RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot a banding problem on one of my users sites.   It looks like they have uploaded several masterpages to the site and I am not sure which one is actually applied.

How can I tell which masterpage or pages are applied to a site?

pfcjt@hotmail.com

Friday, August 31, 2012 1:41 PM

Answers

• In the browser, if v4.master is showing for the site and system master page then that is the one being used. 

In SharePoint Designer, if you right click on a master page and see the options greyed out then that is another way to tell. But typically when you are setting your master page on a sub site the master page being used is from the parent site.  

Another thing to try is just add some text (THIS PAGE) at the top of the master page - in the header somewhere (dont remove any code).  If you see that show up in your site then you know what masterpage is being used.

Heather Waterman SharePoint Branding and Desgin heatherwaterman.com @hwaterman

• Marked as answer by Chilly Moon Friday, August 31, 2012 7:06 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 6:23 PM

All replies

• If you have publishing turned on then you can view through the look and feel area of site settings. The other way of checking if you dont have publishing turned on is to open the site, browse to the master pages, and right click. This will show you what is set as custom and what is set at default.

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Heather, Thank you for answering my plea for help. 

Publishing is turned on

When I go to the Masterpages under Look and Feel it displays the following settings:

o Specify a master page to be used by this site and all sites that inherit from it

V4.master

o Specify a system master page to be used by this site and all sites that inherit from it

V4.master

o User Microsoft SharePoint Foundation default styles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I copied the master page using sharepoint 2010 designer and then made it the default master page.  However the sites branding did not look the same.

I found in a folder in the masterpages library that there were two other files.  When I right click them I am not sure how to tell if they are the applied or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you right click them I see only one file that does not highlight the

Set as Default Master Page

Set as Custom Master Page

If these two items are NOT Highlighted does this mean it is being used as default or Custom or what does it mean?

pfcjt@hotmail.com

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:16 PM
  • In the browser, if v4.master is showing for the site and system master page then that is the one being used. 

In SharePoint Designer, if you right click on a master page and see the options greyed out then that is another way to tell. But typically when you are setting your master page on a sub site the master page being used is from the parent site.  

Another thing to try is just add some text (THIS PAGE) at the top of the master page - in the header somewhere (dont remove any code).  If you see that show up in your site then you know what masterpage is being used.

• Marked as answer by Chilly Moon Friday, August 31, 2012 7:06 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 6:23 PM