WCF Services Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I need to design an authentication scheme for WCF services to authenticate to one another. Well, it's not actually mutual authentication that I want, I just want one service to authenticate against the other. I would also like to have a registration procedure, much like a normal user would do it, only using web services and doing it all programatically. How would I go about doing that? (I'm sorry if the question is somewhat dumb, I realize I'm a beginner at this). Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Razvan
    Friday, May 9, 2008 8:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you tell us about your scenario? What are you trying to achieve? WCF provides different authentication schemes. You could use UserName and Password tokens and a MembershipProvider or you could use a certificate if you own both endpoints. There are more choices, but it would be great if you can provide more details for your scenario.

Thanks

Matias

http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski

Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Hi Matias, and thanks for answering. First off, I will not own both endpoints, so I guess Username/Password will have to do. I would also like to separate the actual authentication store from the service itself (I don't want to store passwords on the service providing the functionality). The scenario here is: service A wants to associate itself with service B, so service A somehow registers with service B and sets a password for it. At the same time, B must also register with A so the services could be mutually authenticated. Also, consider that there can be multiple instances of service A and service B at the same time, not necessarily belonging to the same administrative boundary. Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Razvan
    Monday, May 12, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Hi Wizman

I believe that you may get more data on identification in WCF in its own forum: Transactions Programming

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:18 PM