System.Workflow.Runtime Service hashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using the System.Workflow.Runtime library in my code and when I'm creating the workflow with WorkflowRuntime.CreateWorkflow()

But I get the following exception:

System.InvalidOperationException: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.
       at System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider..ctor()
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.HashHelper.HashServiceType(String serviceFullTypeName)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.HashHelper.HashServiceType(Type serviceType)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.TrackingListenerBroker.AddService(Type trackingServiceType, Version profileVersionId)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.TrackingListenerFactory.GetChannels(Activity schedule, WorkflowExecutor exec, Guid instanceID, Type workflowType, TrackingListenerBroker& broker)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.TrackingListenerFactory.GetListener(Activity sked, WorkflowExecutor skedExec, TrackingListenerBroker broker)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.TrackingListenerFactory.GetTrackingListener(Activity sked, WorkflowExecutor skedExec)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.TrackingListenerFactory.WorkflowExecutorInitializing(Object sender, WorkflowExecutorInitializingEventArgs e)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.WorkflowExecutorCreated(WorkflowExecutor workflowExecutor, Boolean loaded)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowExecutor.RegisterWithRuntime(WorkflowRuntime workflowRuntime)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.RegisterExecutor(Boolean isActivation, WorkflowExecutor executor)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.Load(Guid key, CreationContext context, WorkflowInstance workflowInstance)

Is there a way to change the HashHelper module to use a different hashing algorithm than MD5?

My machine settings does not allow it since it enforces FIPS.

Thanks for the help.

• Edited by Barak Spoj Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:34 PM
    • Moved by DotNet Wang Wednesday, November 25, 2015 1:31 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Barak,

As your issue is more related to workflow, I help you move this case to workflow forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 1:35 AM
  • Hi Barak,

According to the error message above, this problem occurs because Windows Workflow Foundation implements hash algorithms by using Message Digest 5 (MD5). However, MD5 is not compliant to the FIPS algorithm. A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/977069

Please let me know if you need any help.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:06 AM
  • Hi Angie,

Thanks for the quick reply, I did see this hotfix when I looked up for a solution but the thing is we are using .NET 4 and the hotfix applies to .NET 3, it could be perfect if I could find some way to hash with a different algorithm than MD5 which is support by FIPS.

Thanks!

• Edited by Barak Spoj Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:27 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply, I did see this hotfix when I looked up for a solution but the thing is we are using .NET 4 and the hotfix applies to .NET 3, it could be perfect if I could find some way to hash with a different algorithm than MD5 which is support by FIPS.

Hi Barak, 

According to current information, it seems that there is not appropriate method to do that. Perhaps you can consider opening up a case with Microsoft Support  http://support.microsoft.com/  they can help with the issues.

Regards,

Angie

Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:30 AM