none
Windows Server 2012 R2 eval RRS feed

• Question

• I did download Windows Server 2012 R2 eval and this is the files I get.  I am confused as to what file to use for the installation.  Here are the files :

SC2012_R2_SCVMM.exe

SC2012_R2_SCSM.exe

SC2012_R2_SCO.exe

SC2012_R2_SCDPM_EVAL.zip

SC2012_R2_SCMM_SCEP.exe

SC2012_R2_SCAP.exe

SC2012_R2_SCOM_FRA.exe

and one ISO file name : 9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVER....etc.

can someone shed some light?  Thank you, Michel

Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can download from the following link by login to this site using any Microsoft Email ID and Select Windows 2012 R2 ISO file and Select your preferred language:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mva/archive/2013/08/13/windows-server-2012-r2-180-day-evaluation-companion-jumpstart-course.aspx

Regards !

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:47 AM
  • This doesn't answer the question one little bit...eluding to a link is the last waste of time I or this other user has in mind of what I am betting...If you can't help don't waste time giving out interpretive information, that isn't an eloquent and informative description of information. PISSED ME Off!! Will somebody please answer this question with an informative and educated amount of symbols typed to this page???

Thank you in advance for your complete compassion to us newbies....or NOT!

Kris Olafson

Sunday, June 8, 2014 5:14 PM
  • Hi,

Pissed off really, u will see a link in the above URL:

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 offers exciting new features and enhancements across virtualization, storage, networking, virtual desktop infrastructure, access and information protection, and more. Find out how new and enhanced features allow you to take advantage of even better performance and more efficient capacity utilization in your datacenter by downloading the full-featured free, 180-day trial software at the TechNet Evaluation Center. 

Direct link to the Download:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205286.aspx

Select the version u need.

Read well, don't expect to feed you with spoon all the time.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Asim,

Have you actually bothered to try and download the files from that link? I have, which is what brought me to this question on Google.

I downloaded the .ISO version of the Windows Server 2012 R2. After installing the Akamai downloader required by Microsoft, I was given the exact same list of files MichelJQ, the original poster, stated he received, except the .ISO file.

You offered absolutely no answer to the question asked. He stated he received these particular files, and asked what to do with them. He did NOT ask for a location on where to download the Server 2012 files, as he stated, he's already done that. Your response was a giant waste of time, and for you get mad that someone called you out on your lazy response is pitiful. KrisOlafson, the poster after you was fully justified in pointing out you didn't answer the question nor did you offer any useful or helpful information, as I'm doing now.

I'm sitting here with these same lists of files, except the .ISO, and I can't find anything on the Eval Center website about what to do with them. I did find someone who gave a better explanation than you, but still didn't assist in what to do with the files.

To the OP and subsequent poster, and anyone else looking here for some information, if you still haven't found a solution, I may be able to shed some light.

The SC* files are apparently part of the System Center software's that apparently take several virtual machine to install completely. I haven't validated this but the post I did read that explained was well written enough for it to seem accurate to some degree.

I'm simply looking for the evaluation installation .ISO for the Windows Server 2012 R2 base product. I'll attempt my download again to establish if the missing .ISO appears and whether or not it can be burned to a bootable DVD.

Good luck.

Short Hand

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:17 AM
  • I have the same list, but mine includes the ISO. It would be quite easy for MS or someone to just say what these are for. If you have the ISO (as I do) do I need them? I asked the same question on the TechNet feedback site but I got babytalk answers. Useless. 
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Hi 

I found your thread as I was on the same mission to find out what all the other software downloaded with my evaluation version of Server 2012 R2.

I remember ticking a box saying to download all Server Center apps as well as the main download, so I guess that's what these are. I have had a bit more success at finding what these are though.

SC2012_R2_SCAC  =  System Center 2012 App Controller

SC2012_R2_SCO  =   System Center 2012 Orchestrator

SC2012_R2_SCDPM_EVAL  =  System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager

SC2012_R2_SCCM_SCEP  =  system center 2012 R2 Endpoint Protection

SC2012_R2_SCOM  =  System Center 2012 r2 Operations Manager

SC2012_R2_SCSM  =  System Center 2012 R2 Service Manager

SC2012_R2_SCVMM  =  System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager

Hope this helps a bit more, you can just Google the names of the Apps to find out more information of what they do.

Cheers!

Perry.

• Proposed as answer by jortony Monday, May 25, 2015 10:13 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2014 8:58 PM
  • I just went thru the same thing.  Stopped the downloads at about System Center download #5.  Just wanted to get Server 2012 R2; I'll try again now with no System Center check box ticked.

And yes, it would be nice if MS gave us a list of what the heck all these downloads are.  Kinda silly that we have to Google the download after the fact to see what we've just spent bandwidth downloading.

Steve

Friday, October 31, 2014 10:26 PM
  • Hello Michel

I have similar issue. I plan to install on a real server enterprise 64 bit in AD environment for trial then If the tool works great the I will buy product key of the SCDPM for good. I think MS allows the evaluation pack to be installed on a virtual server in lab environment.

As you can see from Ricky's website

http://www.rickygao.com/step-by-step-installing-system-center-2012-r2-virtual-machine-manager/

If you had another way to resolve the issue, please share

Thanks

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:37 PM
  • Ron

I downloaded the ISO file and I used "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool\Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.exe"

as I attempted to burn the ISO to a bootable DVD, an error says "The selected file is not a valid ISO file. PLease select a valid ISO file and try again"

Is the ISO file used to install on a virtual machine?

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Okay, no one ever completely answered the original question although Perry got the closest.  You don't need all the System Center files if you just want a trial server to play with.  System Center allows you to monitor what is going on with your servers and helps you to identify and resolve problems before they happen; probably used primarily in large(r) IT shops, larger than mine anyway.  I don't know what all System Center will do but I have a book that would tell me if I wanted to know.

What was left out was that "9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVER....etc." is the .iso of the actual Windows Server 2012 R2 product.  Burn it to a DVD and then boot from it.  I have had problems in the past burning Windows OS .iso's to disc and usually had to use third party software such as DeepBurner to slow the write speed down to get a deep burn.  If you can "burn" it to a thumb drive and boot from it try that.  In my case yesterday, I was creating a Hyper-V VM so I just installed directly from the .iso file.

Oh, Kris Olafson, a simple "that did not answer the question, please re-read it and try again" might have gotten a quicker and better answer.  But when I get answers like that I feel the same outrage as you did.

Friday, February 27, 2015 5:01 PM
  • Great !
    Monday, April 13, 2015 2:48 AM
  • I never expect the answer or solution from this page https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums because it completely wrong answer. Everytime I read their answer waste my time at the end is useless.
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:38 PM
  • This doesn't answer the question one little bit...eluding to a link is the last waste of time I or this other user has in mind of what I am betting...If you can't help don't waste time giving out interpretive information, that isn't an eloquent and informative description of information. PISSED ME Off!! Will somebody please answer this question with an informative and educated amount of symbols typed to this page???

Thank you in advance for your complete compassion to us newbies....or NOT!

Kris Olafson

i googled a few files names and figured it out. there comes a point where newbies need to be responsible for their own advancement and getting pissed you don't understand the answers seldom helps comprehension.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:33 PM