Push Notification: CreatePushNotificationChannelForApplicationAsync(String) doesn´t work on "all machines" RRS feed

• Question

• On several customer machines or if a VM is used, calling CreatePushNotificationChannelForApplicationAsync seems to have a problem. We got following error codes 0x80070102 (timeout) and 0x803E011B (no connection to cloud), but the NetworkConnectivityLevel is full InternetAccess. We already checked the Proxy Settings and that the IPHelper Task is running. What could be the reason?

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:07 PM

Answers

• It's hard to say without more data. Is the request getting to the proxy? Is it getting out of the proxy? See Jeff's comments in this thread for information about using Fiddler to see where the communication is getting bogged down.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:34 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:44 AM

All replies

• Can you collect a Network trace using an utility such as Microsoft Network Monitor and especially check the TCP-SYN signals to see where they are trying to connect to? You can check if a connection can be made and then troubleshoot the issue that way.

Windows Store Developer Solutions #WSDevSol || Want more solutions? See our blog, http://aka.ms/t4vuvz

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:37 AM
  • It's hard to say without more data. Is the request getting to the proxy? Is it getting out of the proxy? See Jeff's comments in this thread for information about using Fiddler to see where the communication is getting bogged down.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:34 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:44 AM
  • I used fiddler to track the network traffic, but I can only see my network requests. I see nothing at fiddler when the CreatePushNotificationChannelForApplicationAsync command is executed (also on a device where the request is returning a channel).

Does Windows always make a server request or only when the expiration date of the channel has been reached?

Moreover I was looking at the event protocolls of windows. In the admin tab of the PushNotification-Platform I can see that I get following warning:

Event: 1247

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PushNotifications-Platform" Guid="{xx}" />        removed by me

<EventID>1247</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x2000000000400000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-08-21T08:59:58.345462000Z" />

<EventRecordID>6667</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="7076" ThreadID="6000" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-PushNotification-Platform/Admin</Channel>

<Computer>grz-win8test-v</Computer>

<Security UserID="xx" />                                                                 removed by me

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="ControlChannelTriggerStatus">6</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

In the operational tab I can see following Events:

-1003, 1112, 1113, 1100, 1201, 1207, 1208, 1211, 1212, 1217, 1218

Any suggestions what could be the problem?

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

I am also having a lot of trouble with opening a push channel on several customer machines. My app is published in the Windows Store and some customers get the following error when calling "CreatePushNotificationChannelForApplicationAsync":

"The notification platform is unable to retrieve the authentication credentials required to connect to the cloud notification service. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x803E011A)"

I have already checked that no Kaspersky or any other security software (except the Windows firewall) is running on the machine and the IPHelper service is running and set to "automatic startup".

Does anyone know a solution for this issue?

@Microsoft: Why is the creation of a push channel so fragile? On some machines it is working on others not. Why are error messages and solutions not documented in the MSDN?

Bye,

Sebastian

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:47 AM
  • @ Microsoft: Do you have any suggestions how to make progress with this issue?
    Monday, September 9, 2013 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

I have found a solution for the error "The notification platform is unable to retrieve the authentication credentials required to connect to the cloud notification service. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x803E011A)"!

This error is caused by a missing trust relationship! This can be solved by the user by trusting the PC via the verification email which is sent by Microsoft during the first login.

@Microsoft: Why does a dependency exist between the PC trust and the push channel? Why is this not mentioned in the MSDN documentation?

Bye,

Sebastian

Monday, September 9, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Dear Microsoft,

I am still having a lot of trouble with the creation of a push channel on several customer machines running Windows 8.1.

I get these errors:

• The wait operation timed out. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070102)
         at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()   at ParcelTracker.ServicesModule.PushNotificationChannel.PushNotificationChannel.c.MoveNext()
    • A notification channel request for the provided application identifier is in progress. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x803E0103)
         at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()   at ParcelTracker.ServicesModule.PushNotificationChannel.PushNotificationChannel.c.MoveNext()

Once again: What are the exact dependencies of the push channel component?

I figured out that the Windows service "IP Helper" must be running. What else could cause errors?

Why is this component so fragile and is not providing any useful error messages?

I have a lot of angry customers who are not understanding why the push notifications are not working!!!

Bye,

Sebastian

Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Hi Sebastian,

It is really hard to pinpoint to any particular root cause without having a reliable repro or any data to look at in terms of analyzing the failures. If you have a customer contact who can reliably reproduce the above mentioned problems, I would recommend that you open a support case to understand further into these issues.

You may already have support cases associated with your developer account so you can use your developer account to open a support case.   

1.)    Visit the URL: http://aka.ms/storesupportwith your developer account.  

2.)    Towards the bottom of the page, there is a link that says “…contact us immediately.”  

3.)    Click that link and then it will ask you to choose the support type. To reach the correct support team choose the following:  

a. Problem Type: “Technical support for Windows Store and Windows Phone app development” 
    b. Category: “appropriate category" 
    c. Once you do that, there should be an option that lets you “Request a call”/ “Start Email” 

Thanks,

Prashant

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Monday, February 17, 2014 9:53 PM