Lenovo internal bluetooth not detected on Windows Developer Preview

Question

• Hi everyone,

I've just installed Win 8 but my bluetooth card doesn't seem to be in [EDIT:device manager] and the driver installation(from Lenovo's website) says it can't find a bluetooth device. 

It worked fine under windows 7, any tips people can offer so I can use my mouse would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi jamiefish2,

try looking for it in the Device Manager, if it's there, right click it, select update and to search for the update automatically. If that doesn't work, try installing the downloaded driver in Compatibility Mode. Right click the driver, chose to Troubleshoot Compatibility, select Try recommended settings, then Start the program.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Go to Device manager and see if the bluetooth is listed there. Check to see if there is a yellow exclamation point which means there is a problem with the device.
    Download the latest Windows 7 drivers and install in Compatibility mode.

You may be able to install drivers that are designed for other versions of Windows by using the compatibility troubleshooter.
    You can try this troubleshooter by:
    ·          Enter the Start screen
    ·          Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    ·          Select Search
    ·          Type Compatibility
    ·          Click Settings in the right column
    ·          Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows 

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Let us know if this helps

Marilyn
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Sorry, when I said task manager I meant device manager *slap*.

It's not listed, although I do have one "unknown device" (located on ACPI compliant embedded controller).

Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Hello jamiefish2,

Provide the model of your Leveno computer so we can see if we can help provide the drivers.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Its a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520. The drivers that I found on their website don't detect that I have a bluetooth device but if you have any ideas it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Hello jamiefish2,

These are the drivers I found for the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520.
    They were updated as of November 14, 2011. Version - 6.4.0.2900. Trying installing in compatibility mode for Windows 7.
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76986

Let us know if this is the version you have downloaded and installed.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Yep, they're the ones. I've tried in compatibility mode as well but I think the bluetooth chip is not being "seen" by windows at all.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:47 PM
  • Hi jamiefish2,

Sorry, the drivers were the one that you had already tried in compatiblity mode.
    You might want to post in the Lenovo Community but they haven't released any drivers for Windows Developer Preview as it is not a relased product.

You can read the current post I found on the Lenovo community website.
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8/Lenovo-support-for-Windows-8/td-p/537769

You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Sincerely,

Marilyn
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Hi jamiefish2,

I still think you should give Compatibility Mode just one last try, in most such cases it works like a charm.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Monday, January 23, 2012 2:23 AM was unnecessary
    Monday, January 23, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I've reinstalled windows 7 and having the same problem there so not Windows 8's fault at all!
    Monday, January 23, 2012 8:13 PM