Hiding MS Project Add-in RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am working ms project add-in and i have a requirement to hide ms project add-in and work from the custom UI provided to the user but in the current scenario project add-in is loaded and at the same time the custom UI is loaded but what i need is to hide the ms project add-in and show only custom UI that will be loaded however i want ms project to be running in the background to with along with manipulations done in the custom UI is there any possible way to work around this?

Thanks in advance.

Abhi

Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Abhi

I want to bounce this back at you, in my own words, to make sure I'm understanding what you need:

Various users work with a single installation of MS Project?

(Note: an Add-in can be installed per user (log-in), and need not be installed for all users of a machine)

Some of these users want to work with the customUI (a task pane?), others do not. So the key isn't hiding the add-in, it's whether or not to show this UI when Project starts?

I find it very unusual that multiple people would be sharing the same user profile (log-in), but if that's not the case, then the add-in should not be installed for these people. Or you should be able to determine who is logged in and show the custom UI based on who the person is?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, October 11, 2010 9:44 AM
    Friday, September 3, 2010 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Abhi

This might be better asked in a forum dedicated to MS Project, and I can move it there, if you wish, but...

How do you mean "hide the add-in"? In what way is it visible to the user, besides the Custom UI?

Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hello Cindy,

Thanks for the reply here is what i have, initially the user wanted to open the project and then open custom UI from the add-ins menu in this case whenever user wanted to see the tasks related data i.e. timescale values which are shown in custom UI. The problem is user has to open the ms project program and then launch the custom ui from add-in menu this is not what user is desiring now,  user wants to open the Custom UI directly and work on it and then save the data the people who work on ms project professional and custom UI are two different people project related data will be entered in ms project professional and timescale values such as work, budget, weight, totals data will be edited in custom UI by another person. So now i have to either separate the custom UI from add-in or hide add-in now as i mentioned i am not able to hide add-in and when i separated it here is the problem that i ran into

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/thread/1cf951cc-56ac-4ffd-99b0-b5a8c73a2c67

Thanks & Regards,

Abhi

Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Hi Abhi

I want to bounce this back at you, in my own words, to make sure I'm understanding what you need:

Various users work with a single installation of MS Project?

(Note: an Add-in can be installed per user (log-in), and need not be installed for all users of a machine)

Some of these users want to work with the customUI (a task pane?), others do not. So the key isn't hiding the add-in, it's whether or not to show this UI when Project starts?

I find it very unusual that multiple people would be sharing the same user profile (log-in), but if that's not the case, then the add-in should not be installed for these people. Or you should be able to determine who is logged in and show the custom UI based on who the person is?

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, October 11, 2010 9:44 AM
    Friday, September 3, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Hi abhinaxis,

How is this issue going on in your side? Have you solved the problem?

Best Regards,
    Amy Li
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:45 AM