none
Designer problem

Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a weird problem with designer in Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise. My Visual Studio worked normally until today.

I wanted to continue my work under Windows 10 project (Universal App) and I saw designer is either bugged or something I can't explain what.

Here is the image so you can see the problem http://i.imgur.com/YG7Lgbh.png

As you can see from the image, in designer, I have a part which show the phone but there is nothing in it. I know I don't have anything in XAML on that page yet, but I put Background colour to be Black and it should be Black, but rather I can see like it is full transparent. This problem occurs on every page I have in project, and in all new project I created just to see if that is isolated problem or global. And it seems it is global problem.

I even reinstalled Visual Studio but with no changes.

Have anyone experienced this problem and how to fix this?

Thank you a lot.

Development Technician, Microsoft Certified Professional

Sunday, November 22, 2015 4:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tonchi91,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>> My Visual Studio worked normally until today.

Since your visual studio works properly before, to make sure whether it is related to the settings, please take the following steps to reset your settings:

Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE), and run the following commands:

a.devenv.exe /resetsettings, it will restore Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.
    b.devenv.exe /resetuserdata, it will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio.

Besides, to make sure whether it is related to your specific project, please create a new project to test this issue.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 23, 2015 8:31 AM
  • I have tried both solutions under both normal and "Run as administrator" in both normal and Visual Studio CMD.

Nothing helped.

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Hi Tonchi91,

I found the following issue on the connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1640002/xaml-designer-shows-everything-transparent

I suggest you could add a comment here or vote for it. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:14 AM
  • Could this be due to incompatibile graphic card driver? Or any other driver?

Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:31 PM
  • Hi Tonchi91,

To make sure whether it is related to other driver, please create your project in other driver to see if it helps.

Besides, I suggest you could add a comment on the above link to see if there is any update.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

Friday, November 27, 2015 5:37 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I have a weird problem with designer in Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise. My Visual Studio worked normally until today.

I wanted to continue my work under Windows 10 project (Universal App) and I saw designer is either bugged or something I can't explain what.

Here is the image so you can see the problem http://i.imgur.com/YG7Lgbh.png

As you can see from the image, in designer, I have a part which show the phone but there is nothing in it. I know I don't have anything in XAML on that page yet, but I put Background colour to be Black and it should be Black, but rather I can see like it is full transparent. This problem occurs on every page I have in project, and in all new project I created just to see if that is isolated problem or global. And it seems it is global problem.

I even reinstalled Visual Studio but with no changes.

Have anyone experienced this problem and how to fix this?

Thank you a lot.

Prior to this day you were creating Windows 10 Projects (Universal Apps) with no problem? If so what happened between the day before this day and this day with regard to your system?

I find it difficult to believe there is a driver or any similar issue if you were creating Windows 10 Projects (Universal Apps) prior to this day and now this does not work unless you altered something on your system between the day before this day and this day.

If you never created Windows 10 Projects (Universal Apps) before this day and the problem only is occuring with Windows 10 Projects (Universal Apps) then perhaps you do not have everything installed necessary for creation of Windows 10 Projects (Universal Apps).

Please see .NET Blog - Universal Windows apps in .NET and specifically "Installing the UWP Tools" and where it says "During setup, choose 'Custom' to install the Tools for Universal Windows Apps.".

La vida loca

Friday, November 27, 2015 6:19 AM
  • I have installed UWP tools, I have installed everything I need. It's not the first time I am installing Visual Studio (so as 2015). It's hard to remember what happen in all those times on my computer, but since I have notifier for my driver updates (graphic card), my driver is updated automatically every time there is an update.

There is 2 things that cross my mind that could cause the problem (if it can cause it). I had VMWare on my laptop and I had to disable Hyper-V for it to work properly. I know a lot of thing in Windows development is depending on Hyper-V. Could disabled Hyper-V cause this "transparency" problem?

Also could a low disk memory cause this problem? I read somewhere on the internet that if I have low amount of HDD/SSD memory that it could cause that problem. It's hard for me to believe it is this second problem, but any hint would be great.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 1:13 PM
  • Hi Tonchi91,

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1640002/xaml-designer-shows-everything-transparent

Since someone has submitted this issue, I suggest you could add a comment here and focus on it.

Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Monday, November 30, 2015 2:42 AM
  • Yea, my mistake. I found that designer in Windows Forms is working great. I still can't figure it out why it won't work properly in Windows 10 UWP apps. I have posted this problem to Microsoft Connect and still no answer from anyone.

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:24 PM
  • Hi Tonchi91,

Do you install the VS2015 update 1?

Please check that whether it is related to the project property:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/bd1e0c2f-dd59-4055-8576-2bd594d8f074/vs2015-community-uwp-designer-does-not-load?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Thanks,

Jack

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 11:57 AM
  • I have tried your solution. It's not working. It was already targeted to 10240 and I have designer visually enabled but the phone in designer is transparent and I can't see any colour, asset or any control on it since it is transparent. I have given an screenshoot in the first post where you can see how it looks. I have even tried to backward project to insider preview version of 10158.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 3:10 PM