none
Provisioning a computer for Driver Development RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a target computer for Driver Development, but I am getting the following error:

Error code: 1312
    Error message: Unable to create run session for specified user

Both machines are 64 bit with Windows 10, and both have the WDK 10 installed

I followed the instuctions here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn745909(v=vs.85).aspx

Our network is interesting in that on both machines I had to configure the network adapter to use a set ip address, subnet and gateway.

Both machines can see eachother, and ping eachother via network name.

Both machines had a local administrator user with the same name and password.

Yet, I am getting the following errors when provisioning.

Installing necessary components...
    Copying required files
        Task "Copying required files" completed successfully
    Configuring WDK Remote User Account
        Task "Configuring WDK Remote User Account" completed successfully
    Installing .NET Framework (possible reboot)
        Task "Installing .NET Framework (possible reboot)" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

An error occurred on the target machine while executing a process.
    Installing VC Redist (x64)
        Task "Installing VC Redist (x64)" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

Installing test automation (x86)
        Task "Installing test automation (x86)" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

Installing test automation (x64)
        Task "Installing test automation (x64)" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

Installing debuggers (x86)
        Task "Installing debuggers (x86)" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

Installing debuggers (x64)
        Task "Installing debuggers (x64)" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

Installing driver test framework
        Task "Installing driver test framework" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

Registering logging components
        Task "Registering logging components" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

Configuring TAEF test service to start automatically
        Task "Configuring TAEF test service to start automatically" was aborted because an error occured on the target machine during execution.

Configuring kernel debugger settings (possible reboot)
        Task "Configuring kernel debugger settings (possible reboot)" was aborted because a communication error occured during execution.

An timeout occurred while waiting for data from the remote machine.
    Configuring computer settings (possible reboot)
        Task "Configuring computer settings (possible reboot)" was aborted because a communication error occured during execution.

Creating system restore point
        Task "Creating system restore point" was aborted because a communication error occured during execution.

Computer configuration log file://C:/Users/******/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/WDKTestInfrastructure/ProvisioningLogs/Driver%20Test%20Computer%20Configuration%2020160115125551232.log
    Failed installing components

Friday, January 15, 2016 7:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ,

I am also facing the same issue. Host PC is  WIN7 with VS2015 and target PC is on WIN10.

Both the PCs are able to ping each other.

What could be the issue here?

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 12:42 PM
  • now this issue is solved for me. Installed win10 on my test PC.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:45 PM
  • Hi ,

I am also facing almost the same issue. My Host PC is running Windows 10 ( Build 1809 ) with Visual Studio 2017 ( Version 15.9.6 ) and target PC is running Windows 10 ( Build 1703 ).

Both system are connected to each other through Wi-Fi ( Same network ) and they are able to ping each other.

I've installed WDK Setup in my target PC , But I'm unable to configure my machine for remote debugging.

What could be the issue here?

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 10:36 AM
  • I am also facing this exact issue.

Test system Windows 10 1809

Host system Windows 10 1803 with VS2017 15.9.7

Thursday, February 21, 2019 1:30 AM
  • Is anyone monitoring this forum?

Friday, February 22, 2019 11:45 PM
  • Yes, but few of us use the automatic provisioning. Problems in this area are usually caused by either operator error or incorrect system configuration. Solving these issues is very labor intensive, and we don't get paid to answer questions.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Monday, February 25, 2019 5:14 PM
  • Now that there is a slew of people reporting the exact same problem and 2 topics running on this error maybe it's time for someone to look into this. I have provisioned many systems in the past. But now it is no longer possible due to his blocking issue. My test system is freshly installed and fully updated windows 10. If that doesn't work, then what does? The reports coming in one after another indicate provisioning a system to debug using the latest VS2017 is broken.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 12:20 AM
  • The person at Microsoft that owned this forum (Doron) moved to a different team, and no longer has responsibility for the forum. I don't know if a new owner has been found yet, but as far as I know, I'm the only moderator. Some of the Microsoft devs do look in here from time to time and answer questions in their area of responsibility if no one else answers the question.

Your question would be the responsibility of the WDK team, and I no longer know anyone on that team that I could ping for an answer. So, you'll either just have to wait for either someone from Microsoft to wander in here, or a non-Microsoft person who knows the answer.

Those of us here who don't work for Microsoft no longer get any benefit from Microsoft for answering questions here (we used to get a yearly MSDN subscription, but no longer, because management doesn't believe that this forum is worth supporting). Your only other choice would be to log a support issue, and if the problem is a Microsoft bug, then it will be free; otherwise, if it is your problem you'll have to pay.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:01 AM
  • Good news!
    I was able to track down the owner of the WDK and I think that he will be having someone take a look at these threads

-Brian

Thursday, February 28, 2019 7:47 PM
  • Target and host both should be 1809 if you want to use 1809. Let me know if this doesn't resolve the issue.
    Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:43 PM